1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stoner/Doom Bassists: 73 - Hair above but not below the Equator

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Sep 20, 2013.

1. My first thread title, I am a little teary eyed with pride :crying::hyper:

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Pretty fantastic live video from Graveyard:

3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Black album sucks, but only because it allowed Metallica to become the asshats they always wanted to be. Plus it paid for all of the shovelware they've put out since, that's a capitol offense right there.
    Otherwise I might enjoy it.

4. Do people really actually listen to Metallica past MOP, really, I am actually confused, people seriously like the Black Album, that is Enter the Sandman Metallica right. I so confused this is a joke right?

5. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Oh, hai!

6. Good stuff, them boys like their P90s don't they?

7. I really dig that. I actually sent the link to my pops.

8. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Cliff = Metallica

No Cliff = garbage metallica

End of discussion.

9. Well to be fair, regardless of who the bassist has been in that band, they have been the most tallented person in the band.

10. Big +1
    When they lost Cliff they should of changed their name to something like Limp Biscuit, Huey Lewis and the News, Bananrama, etc like something good to let people know it is Pop music, nyuck nyuck nyuck

11. Yeah not dumping on the other bassist that came after Cliff, talented guys, just they lost their flavor after Cliff died.

12. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    So... We meet again.

13. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Weve made another full circle again...SOOOO

Whats dixie daves rig?

Squier or Stupid...

Fridges make good cabs, science doesnt

14. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Probably sound like a regular J. I've been doing variable tap/shunts with push/push bypasses every chance I get. It acts as a passive mid control on most humbuckers. Also push/push series/parallel goes all middy to scoopey.

My only luck with the faux binding was by over-taping, then going a bit (<1/16") into the wood with an xacto to trim the tape to shape and separate the wood slightly, though I never got it as perfect as I wanted. I've been considering running a bit of wax or really slow-penetrating filler/sealer under the tape prior to cutting, just for perfection's sake. I haven't had the time for that one yet. Experiment on scrap, as usual.

On my v's and explorers, I put an oval-round on the top edge to soften it while not killing the look, and slant the back to thin the side up and give the playing area a bit of a leaning-back feel- really kills the balance if I make it as comfy as I want, unless its got a really thin neck or the neck is made of something like cedar.

I always thought the loads were their ultimate sell out, and that Black was just the turning point at which they should've changed their name... I enjoy it still, but its change is beyond evolution.

15. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    the black album sounds amazing, you can call it over produced but the amount of time and work that went into it is unbelievable. i highly recommend watching year and a half in the life.

and obviously its not as good as cliff work (although id take black over kill em all) and im kidding about it being the best ever, but its a great album. it also has a special place in my 10 year old heart, as it should in anyone that is my age.

you old bastards were too jaded by that point to like it anyways!

16. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    And for the record: **** The Black Album. No wait, **** Metallica. Period.

SLAYEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Still if it were anywhere else the response would always be:
    "DO A SEARCH YOUR NOOB I'M TO BUSY SWAPPING PICKGUARDS ON MY FENDER TO BE BOTHERED WITH YOU!"

18. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    slayer isnt even the same realm as metallica. there isnt a single slayer album that holds a candle to RTL, MOP, or AJFA.

but i know its cooler nowadays to like slayer because they arent an absolute embarrassment so i get it. although its becoming a lot cooler now to hate pantera too, i want that fad to die soon lol.