1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stoner/Doom Bassists: 74 - A few of beebass' favorite things...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Sep 26, 2013.

1. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
  2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Score!

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Now, where did we put all that bouncy music?...

4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
  5. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    Ok, I used my two OD pedals (Pork Loin and the Philosopher's Tone) last night in a bass-drums jam (guitarist couldn't make it). First, the Philosopher's Tone is absolutely incredible. It's the germanium chip special edition, and it's obvious why it's a rather expensive pedal. Compressed without being squished, and a very focused OD/distortion.

The Pork Loin was also surprisingly good when I cranked it. It was more wild and open sounding (it doesn't have the compression circuitry that the PT has), but had a usable and musical distortion to it.

So for now, I'm going to use the Pork Loin (the Philosopher's Tone is my girlfriend's and unfortunately I need to return it) for the little distortion I need. Perhaps in the future I'll look into the Boss ODB-3 or other overdrives, but for now I'm set.

But with any tone chase, "for now" is a rather variable term. :bassist:

6. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    lol, you dummies.

add Type O Negative to that list. October Rust has quickly become one of my favorite albums ever.

7. I have the TH pedal, and I like the tone quite a bit, not as nice as the WA but good enough. From what I have read the TH amps sound "better" than the pedal, we'll see I suppose, but even if it doesn't the size and weight of the TH500 make it a much better option as a backup amp compared to the WA.

8. I'm the Greeeeee eeen Man!

9. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    another fuzz down finished.

[​IMG]

10. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    OOOOOOO SO GODDAMN GOOD!

11. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA

Better you say :) hmmm

12. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    beebass loves music like this:

13. I don't say yet....just what I read. it seems the interaction between the gain and drive controls on the TH amps is what makes them different from the pedal.

14. Is that Fuzz Face based to have only one knob?

15. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    My tru oil experience

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Fully dry

[​IMG]

Can't recall what the type of wood dye was ( yes dye not stain) but it tuned out great. Unfortunately the body is the only thing left as I have sold all the parts. May build it back up some day if I come across a cheap neck

16. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA

Highly interested in your findings since you will own both. Wish they made a higher wattage version since I would only use it with the 8ohm cab.

17. Nice, it's wild how the dye makes the wood look like you would never see the grain again then the oil pulls it back out. Did you just mix the dye with water?

18. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Perv reporting for duty

19. I asked the stained the neck if I should do tru oil or wipe on poly and he said the he sticks with oil to keep the resonance of the wood, and the other guy told Satr not to use oil lol. I think he doesn't use either on bodies though, must paint or laquer them or something. It really is nice being able to work in the house with the oil and not have the chemical smells. I think I will do my first coat of oil on the neck tonight.

20. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA

Yeah, pretty sure it was powder based. My friend pre mixed it. If I ever get this bass going again putting a dead j pickup in and finding another old dimarzio then just volume to jack. Kinda janky but will be cool. Also NGD

Squier classic vibe tele
    [​IMG]

Didn't expect to dig it so much but I did. Picked it up used at music-go-round for