1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stoner/Doom Bassists: 74 - A few of beebass' favorite things...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    I have. It's borderline impossible for finger-style (I don't use a pick normally, I feel fairly adept with my fingers in general).

No idea if they sell flats.

2. I played a Dano Hodad I think it was it was all sparkly blue with three lipstick pups, and that played and sounded real nice, played the Modern Player Fender didn't like it but might just be the action on it, yeah you can get flats. You can do fingerstyle like playing a guitar without a pic, might have to throw your thumb in the mix every once in a while but just pretend you got an Asian girlfriend.

View attachment 364713

3. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Damn, If I could manage finger style and get flats it'd be a long lasting keeper since I'd never replace the strings. It'd fill the roll of the bronco with a lot more going on.

4. Rondo music has a 6 string bass like not guitar but bass in 30 inch scale B to C tuning but no reason you couldn't tune that guitar E to E, D to D, etc. Think you get the bass feel back.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb406natbshort.html

5. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    Well, the squatch pointed out that you can play using your fingers as you would play a guitar using your fingers, but - at least in my experience - not the "bass-playing-with-fingers" style.

6. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I'm not sure you'd get anything resembling bass strings I that bridge.

7. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Woah, wrong one, that one could. Its funny how many models of cheap **** they've got.
    Lol

8. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    I never can use a pick, I play with my fingers alternating between nails and pads and such, so might work if I try one out. Wish it had a maple board option.

5-6 string basses don't feel good and look crazy to me.

9. I think enough practice you could do it Askrere especially since you already play guitar. Regi Wooten slaps on guitar. I think a lot of the early days guys like Jack Bruce played them fingerstyle too, I think.
    But it would never feel quite the same with that string spacing. The more you jump back and forth from guitar to bass I think it gets easier to use opposite techniques, but I am a weirdo.

10. Yeah some crazy stuff there, so many of the guitars I want to upgrade electronics and necks because to get hard tail strats with like 3 P90 pups, and they have wide neck les pauls styles, so I always take a gander there, plus cheap cases and pedalboards.

11. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    My guitarist picked up a Gibson SG bass. It's 30.5" and he wants to tune it to D standard. Will he have to use super heavy gauge strings because of the short scale? Anyone ever do this?

12. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Yeah I've been waffling back and forth between getting a neck from them or a buyout from GFS to dick around with. Gonna be along time before I can do a Warmoth neck like I'd want.

13. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    My Epi SG bass has the stock rounds on it I assume, they work, most strings in the SS range are .90-.95 not much variation.

I also tuned it down to B with the same strings, that was floppy but manageable.

14. Don't forget Mighty Might though not bad and just a little more on ebay

15. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    When I had my longhorn I had a hard time finding strings of decent gauge. Asked the dude who used to do work on my basses. He said even is you could get the strings its probably not good for the neck, they're designed for light gauge. Wish I knew for sure but the dude had a way with fretwork, too bad we lost touch.

16. Or save up 3000 and get you a Charlie Hunter model Novax

17. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I don't care for maple if I'm spending over a hundred I'm getting something interesting.

18. Oh gotcha

19. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Not to say maple doesn't make a nice neck, they're just dime-a-dozen. Everybody makes a maple neck, some would call it a standard. I think of it more as generic.

20. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    So I never wanted a fretless bass until last night when I saw Intronaut.

Damn Joe is a bad bad man. Too bad I am not a fifth the bass player he is.

They were opening for Cult of Luna and Katatonia. I have been digging the new Cult of Luna album but it didn't really translate live all that well. On the other hand, their light show was insane and the keyboard bass was shaking my innards.

This is the second time I have seen Katatonia and they are all great players but I don't understand their music at all. I guess just not for me, but I know a lot of people who like similar music to me and they love Katatonia including the newer stuff (some of the older stuff I like okay).