Stoner/Doom Bassists: On our way down Route '66(6)...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Jul 18, 2013.

1. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    Sea of Snakes

2. this you?

3. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    No, not me.

4. You know what? Already went down that hill. It's not a greenboy design, but I did order a custom lightweight guitar cab for my dad for christmas. Dave Homer at Gigmaster Soundworks built the cab. The thing is built out of okoume, uses a Lil' Texas, and weighs all of 15 pounds. Its not going to give you a wall of sound or anything, but for most mortals with a 20-50 watt amp it is more than loud enough to hang.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nice guitar cab!!! Nice heads he has driving it too!!!

6. I never tried one, it's the only other one besides Blackstar that I could think of in that low a watt. I think the Egnator Rebal has an attenuator that can go from 20 watts all the way down to 1 watt.

7. Ha ha that must fo been somthing to witness, my brother and I went to the Jazz Cafe in WIlkes-Barre PA to see a Town Hall a kind of funk/jam band from Philly and the guitarist/singer left his hoody over a chair at the bar next to some hippy chick and a white mouse jumped of the pocket of the hoodie, and I said better wash that jacket, and the hippy gal sitting next to him gave me a scowl like I shouldn't of said that. That made my brother and I laugh harder though. It was like Jan or Feb and freezing out, if it was his pet I don't know he brought it out in the cold.

8. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Dang it, now I want a tele :). That's a cool little cab. What was the cost? And now I'm thinking head and cab again, but the form factor of just a tiny combo is probably better suited (like a fender champ 600 or something). I kinda dug that egnater tweaker too.

9. +1 That Egnator Tweaker is really cool.
    I got a USA Peavey Reactor tele in excellent near mint condition with factory hard case and a Dimarzio Twang King neck pickup for sale cheap, hint hint
    View attachment 351723

View attachment 351724

10. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    askrere, I've thought of the pre/head/cab setup. So far it's a toss up between that and B-15, leaning towards the modular setup.

But since we were on the topic, figured it would hurt to see if there were any other suggestions out there...I'll probably end up with some expensive and complicated solution, but at least it will sound great.

In other news, I think TB won't let me post the pic of my 66/rig from my phone since I let my supporting membership expire. Anyone want to help me out so I can finally get this picture on here?

11. The cab is crazy light, which is good for my dad as he has a bad shoulder. Load in isnt a problem for him, but load out is after 3-4 sets. The amps are also nice. Everyone has to manage their mid life crisis somehow... :bassist:

12. Not a midlife crisis if he always been playing, I think of midlife crisis more as the guys buying the corvettes and Miatas with their comb over flipping and flopping all over the place, or buying their first motorcycle and wearing the leather chaps with fringes, lol

13. Good tunes Niff!!!

14. It wasnt cheap. ;) The natural finish was an upcharge, the Okoume was a SIGNIFICANT upcharge as well.

The thing my dad digs is that he can toss the Mesa and all his cables in the carry bag that came with the amp. Cab in one hand, guitar in the other.

15. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I love my practice rig!

[​IMG]

16. Between cars and guitars purchased, most would tally up 3-4 extended mid life crises for him.

Also new thread title?

17. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    So had practice last night. Singer couldn't make it cause he had to be at work super early the next day, and in the first 5 minutes our effects guitarist's power tubes blew. So we just jammed as a 3 piece and wrote our first new material in like 6 months. The one thing I hate about recording is how writing stagnates, and as a band we like to always be writing. Felt really good to bang out some new riffs and possibly a new song.

18. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Photobucket app, it's free. But please turn off the HTTP/HTML code for the image link ;)

19. Oh Duh I forgot about a 2 watt amp I had and sold, the Fender Pawn Shop Greta, I sold it because it always broke up, couldn't get a totally clean sound of of it, though I didn't keep it long enough to really break in the speaker. It has some cool features though, could be used as a guitar amp, used with an external speaker, used as a preamp, and as a MP3 tube mono stereo. Also looks like an old radio, great looks. And $200 new and cheap used.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...4-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-107444366-i2256339.gc
    View attachment 351727

20. Also there is enough room in the Fender Champion 600 to squeeze a 10 inch speaker in it, but I have have seen guys unmount the amp from the small frame and stock speaker and build themselves a nice 12 or 15 inch combo cab. Can you tell I really dork out over Fender Champion 600s, lol. You can mod the hell out of them too!
    View attachment 351729

View attachment 351730

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021