Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread 30: "we've lost the bleeps the sweeps and the creeps"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dunwichamps, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    started

2. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    So shiny and new

3. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Yup, that may be a good alternative. The price on this one is slowly creeping up, but still well below $120.

4. twhitedc

twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    Sub'd

Here's the info on the Psilocybe that's on used GC - $119.99

5. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Dude, i was about to do a spaceballs theme. it helps its about to be on HBO in HD FTW!!!!

6. dunwichamps

dunwichamps Commercial User

Jul 23, 2012
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    F.U.C.K YEA FTW!

7. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Aaaah its like a clean slate...so what are we going to talk about again.

A) What does Dixie use again?

B) SS > Tubes

C) Its like our own world in this thread...HELLO ANY MODS OUT THERE? / You guys are the best.

8. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    This thread is all shiny and new. I'll relic it up good and quick with my greasy mitts.

9. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    So now that i think the honeymoon phase is over, how you liking that mb800 corey?

10. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Thank you, sir!

I was checking it out last night. My little brother actually lives close to that store in L.A. Maybe I can persuade him into getting it for me and shipping it for free. :p

11. I guess I'll subscribe.

12. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Quick. Everyone bump an old thread so we can cover the front page!

13. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    You can join the X-men, and erode organic material...slowly.

$19.99 Rice cooker from black and Decker, best thing since sliced bread.

14. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Damn! Almost won it for $90!

15. twhitedc

twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    I always feel more comfortable haggling in person than over the phone.

16. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Have you had luck haggling with GC on used gear?

Last time I tried here, they told me it's company policy to not discount used gear. That was a while back, so I haven't tried since.

17. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    I`ve been meaning to check out that Blood Sweat & Vinyl dvd. Is it worth watching?

18. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I like it a lot, it's a really good amp. I got exactly what I wanted out of it. I wanted something that sounded like my 800RB, but louder and lighter. It's actually a little deeper in the lows as well. It fits in the pocket of my gig bag and it's the loudest amp I own. It's a little more finicky with my pedals than my other amps, but really that just helps me weed stuff out, because what sounds good through it pretty much sounds good through everything else. The preamp gain is excellent, much better than I anticipated when I bought it.

Pretty much every Cold Mourning practice I start out on my SVT-CL, fiddle with the settings a bunch, get frustrated and end up switching to the MB800. As I've stated before, it doesn't have as much girth as the CL, but it's louder, a lot more flexible and cuts through the mix easier. I can get a great tone out of it without much effort. That's just an A/B comparison, the MB800 has a ton of punch to it. The CL is a bit too boomy for my taste, I can't ever seem to get the mud out of it.

I still view it as a backup, more than a main amp. Really only because my Traynor serves the "straight into a tube amp, no pedals" role and I'm working on the pedalboard into power amp rig for light and modular. If I was doing session work or gun for hire gigs though, I would make it my main. It's light, loud and flexible, so it could be a good "swiss army knife" type amp.

19. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Awesome poster alert
    [​IMG]

20. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    I tried down tuning the epi EB-0 with the unknown gauge rounds and it works, but needs to be adjusted a bit, for a slightly tighter C, and the um Eb is buzzing on the first fret a bit when I dig in.

So Niff and whoever else was looking for a short scale, This thing is working. I was thinking of maybe putting in a switch with a diode for the supposed jack bruce sound. then install a double jack, one with a cap across it like a rick. Only question is would splitting my signal passively cut it in half?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021