Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread 30: "we've lost the bleeps the sweeps and the creeps"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dunwichamps, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Bornofthesabbat

Bornofthesabbat

Oct 16, 2012
    I was gonna stay out of it but I know all of these guys. Some pretty well and some really well. Andy was unhappy in Black Pyramid for a long time. The band had a lot of internal problems and still does from what Clay (the drummer) has been telling people. Always getting help was a lot of Andy's problem. He really cleaned up his act a few years ago to the point that he wasn't drinking anymore at all or doing tons of drugs like he used to. He was just unhappy with his life working dead end jobs and just living to play music and would talk about that a lot when you hung out with him. He didn't like playing in Black Pyramid and had talked about quitting for awhile, plus all the ******** in the band with Gein's affairs and breaking up his friends marriages and **** really ****ed with him. Some crazy **** happened to him at his job (which was really sketchy) and that was really just the tipping point. Psychiatrists and doctors just put him on more medicine for depression and stuff until he was really overmedicated and it ****ed him up a lot. It changed him and it was sad. He started finally getting better around the time he just quit taking all his medicine and started taking control of his life. He was in pretty ****** health at that point to because he lost weight constantly from some of the medication.

I guess he was acting crazy online on forums and with the band but in real life he suddenly just got his **** together around that time and was a suddenly a really happy and positive person and he has been since. He seems to think the whole thing is just funny and that people gave that much of a ****. He never really said he was quitting music to people only not having it be the focus of his life like it used to be, he's been playing and jamming with his friends and I've played with him a couple times even. He just said that he was sick of planning his whole life around bands and being a certain way only because he was in bands. He did sell off and even gave away to people a lot of his gear but he still has **** tons of it.

Everything kind of clicked for him in his life and he's got a great job now doing something with psychiatry and helping people who are mentally ill. He plays with Palace In Thunderland again because those guys asked him to and he doesn't take it very seriously. When Palace In Thunderland broke up before it was nothing like with Black Pyramid I don't know where that came from, he had wanted to do another band besides Palace In Thunderland (which ended up being Black Pyramid) and those guys didn't agree so they ended up cancelling the Palace In Thunderland tour and then Andy quit and did Black Pyramid like right afterwards.

People ask him if he thinks people will want to know what he is doing with Palace In Thunderland now because he was in Black Pyramid and he just says "I hope not." The Black Pyramid guys take themselves really seriously to the point of being real pricks to some people sometimes and I think that ****ed him up a lot too trying to be like that when he was in that band. If you knew him well then that's just not him and he was turning into a real prick also playing in that band. He was always a real goofy jokester guy before. I think he sees that now and Palace In Thunderland has always been kind of like this inside joke thing where they are just ****ing around with each other and having fun. A lot of people around here don't like Black Pyramid because of the way it changed him and because of the other guys too. All I know is that he said he said for years how Black Pyramid wasn't fun for him and since he quit the band he hasn't been a dick to people anymore is fun to be around people again and it's been inspirational to a lot of people here how he just kind of got all the bad elements out of his life once he stopped that band. I don't know about the online stuff other than what I've heard but all I can say is that I think he just stopped taking the online world seriously anymore and started living in real life.

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Personally, I have nothing invested in this story but thanks for the details. Sometime us internet folk make things out to be more than they are. But never forget. Talkbass is serious business!

If you're a fan of the genre or just want to chat you can find us over in the new thread posted above you.

3. Bornofthesabbat

Bornofthesabbat

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks. I had been reading the new thread because I lurk around here and I play bass. I wasn't going to post except I'd been thinking for the last week since reading that stuff just how people talk **** about situations and people that they really don't know anything about just because they read some ******** on the internet and confused it for real life. I probably just lurk more.

4. MatronMother

MatronMother

Jun 22, 2009
    Just got OIL on vinyl. Such and amazing album from a unique band. Not everyones cup of tea but I remember a time in the early 90's playing SLEEP in the car and the majority hating it...now they all love it.

Jason! likes this.
  5. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    Where did you get Oil from? I have a hard time finding merch from them.

6. MatronMother

MatronMother

Jun 22, 2009
    On Discog. Not my favorite place to buy vinyl as everyone charges a arm and leg for delivery but for this album I bit the cost and was more then pleased to receive it. I am not a huge vinyl collector but like to have interesting stuff that no one else has.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/2406487-Meth-Drinker

7. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    I figured Discogs...Never used it but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet. Thanks man.

8. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Quick drive by. Cover art for our upcoming Ripple split was released.

the-second-coming-of-heavy-chapter-2.jpg

Jason! likes this.
  9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
  10. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Lol whoops, got the notification and didn't bother to look.

11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    All our collective heaviness has finally created a rift in spacetime.

Or riff! A riff in spacetime. Get it?

...I'm an idiot...

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021