Stoner Metal, maaannnnn.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Any fans? I've been slowly getting into it. I've always been into Sabbath. But I just really started getting into Monster Magnet, I bought Dopes to Infinity, amazing. Also, i was in the photo lab, and someone was playing some pretty cool Stoner metal, it was a little too literal though, every song seemed to start out with an audio clip of someone talking about pot, and fields of pot. Don't know who they were, real heavy though.

Any recommendations for stoner metal bands. Also, am I allowed to like these bands as a non stoner? ;)
  2. Sleep, Electric Wizard, High on Fire, Bongzilla (!) There are tons. Check out they have a ton of sludge/stoner metal bands. I don't partake in smoking of the herb either :)
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fu Manchu
    Monster Magnet
    Orange Goblin

Obey the Fu Manchu, btw.

Stoner Metal is really just Zepplin style rock in a modern context. They usually have pretty decent bass players too.

Monster Magnet's bassist usually has a good tone, especially on Powertrip
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    St. Vitus

The Obsessed
  5. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
  6. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    I have Autopsy being refered to as Stoner Death Metal, a great band, truly amazing and a must to check out.

Critical Madness is a good song to start with.
  7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Yeah! Almost forgot about them... funny story, when I met Oly, the original drummer from Trouble (another great "stoner metal" band), he thought I was Dave Chandler from St. Vitus. Came up to me, put his arm around my shoulder and started drunken babbling to Dave... took a few minutes to convince him I wasn't. :D

Anyways, I think the more correct term is "stoner rock" rather than "stoner metal". Most stuff you could call "stoner metal" would fall into the category of "doom metal", but there is definitely some gray area there. Just my $.02.

Another cool band to check out is Warhorse from the NEPA area.

"Dave's not here, man."
  8. i never knew such a category existed, myself.

if you go to the link, check out "kaos" i'd say that's the most stonerish.

'high karate' is more of a joke about an old cologne, but other people infer differently...