1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stoner/Sludge Bliss

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Sep 22, 2008.

1. sludgestoner.

well I have recently started playing a lot of Stoner/Sludge Rock (Think Kyuss, Sleep, Orange Goblin etc...)...previous to this i have been a plug and play player not using pedals much at all

however i recently acquired a EHX Bass Big Muff and a Rocktron Heart Attack (E-Bay $30.00) which seems to do a fantastic Baseballs imitation...anyway the Voodoo Labs pedal run into the Heart Attack with the Muff on the back end does an amazing job of reaching the sound i had in my head for this type of music.....Stoner nirvana!!!!!

hopefully i can figure out how to post samples....so you guys can hear it too

just thought i would share....lol :bassist:

2. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    To cool. I am into the same style would love to hear how your set up sounds.

3. I had to experiment with the placement, as the filter reacts to picking dynamics.....but at the front of the chain the effect seemed to do nothing and at the end of the change the effect was entirely too strong...but in between the OD and the Fuzz it is simply perfect! almost sounds like a guitar and fills the gaps nicely in a three piece!

4. Nice board. I'm sorta working towards the same thing:
    DSC_0964.

I'll have a Digitech Multi-Chorus by this weekend. Birthday and that.

5. I'm still thinking of adding an octave pedal to the mix....i have noticed an octave pedal before a fuzz sounds fantastic, but i'm unsure about tracking and how the OD and filter will re-act

I recently tried the El Grande and i found it too buzzy and not silky enough for my tastes....glad it's working for you

6. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Try a micro POG. It tracks everything even chords. Its nice to have the octave up, dry and octave down. I put mine before a tech 21 XXL. Both of them go in a parallel effects loop so I can have clean, distorted, Distorted with octave or clean with octave. My clean signal is always on and I mix in the effects. You get two really different distortions if you set the POG to only send octave up and down to the distortion. That way you can mix your clean signal with an identical distorted signal (POG off) for a really tight distortion or clean with the Up/down octaved distortion (POG on) which sounds really huge or Distortion of and POG on which sounds kind of like an organ (Great with a phaser).

7. I want one of these, too...

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Personally the absolute best pedal for Sludge/Doom/Drone/Stoner/ is the Devi Ever Cherry Pop, I love the thing. Seriously it blows muffs away, particularly on lows, all muff types. It has a really wonderful gritty tone. Through a big tube amp it is like a wall of heavyness.

9. I like the sound. I really, really do.

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Pedalboard.

I'm a little more on the atmospheric end of the Stoner/Sludge spectrum (think the mildly buried guitars in Acid King, for example) But I love the Blue Box for this sort of stuff. That and the Reverberator are my two absolute favorite things for sludge, 'cause you can get a real nice thick sound of the box and then send it through the reverberator for some real massive submarine on acid type sounds. Sounds fantastic when you're under the influence*

Not to endorse the "stoner rock is for stoners only" stereotype*

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nice work gentlemen. What do you think of a wah, a bodgan, a bassdrive, and a messdrive hybrid for some doom sludge? :)

12. Definitely get an octave. I've been using an OC-3, what I do is only mix in a little bit of the octave down signal, and the dry signal still covers up any warble that may be going on but even just having a little bit of octave mixed in sounds really amazing for stoner rock stuff.

Currently my setup is...

bass>OC-3>Supercollider>GEB-7>amp

Sometime soon, I plan on buying a Barge Concepts VFB-2, which is a feedback pedal, so I can screw around with feedback swells and hopefully make some Sunn-esque type sounds with it.

13. I liked the OC-3. I would like to spend more time with the pedal, and short of buying it I can't figure out any other way to do that.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    My stoner project remains a solo effort, but it's all about the Blue Berry for me because recording a cranked tube amp at 3am makes a lot of people angry. I'm thinking about giving it up and going back to an ancient Sunn head though, if/when the cops are called I'll turn off all the lights and pretend my walls caved in by some unknown phenomenon.

15. ...or all of your neighbors walls...

16. Well, I'm tuned to drop B, and I have no major problems with it tracking the A string and above. One thing, especially on lower notes is it doesn't seem to like sustained notes. When the note starts to decay, the pedal has a harder time tracking. The way I have the octave down mixed in though, makes it totally unnoticeable. The pedal tracks best on the poly setting. Octave 2 is alright but not the greatest, or most useful IMO. I have no use for the drive setting since I have a fuzz pedal, but I think the drive does a pretty good tracking job as well.

17. :meh: Hmmm. And i liked your sound i heard on the vid on your myspace. Good octaver for 119. Sounds like a deal for me.

18. Its too hard to find guitarists for stoner music. I just noodle on my own to relieve that itch. The blueberry is awesome for it but also I bought a tiny terror cheaply for ***** and giggles. It rages at semi-low volumes. One might argue that its not the best as a bass amp, but ya know its driven to **** and back so it still hits heavy. Plus stoner tone is about mids in my opinion.

19. Tiny terror is good on bass?

20. I played this pedal and really didn't like the overall sound...it seemed to be a one trick pony (Granted it did that one trick well) the dry mode on the Bass Big Muff is what sold me on it...it allows me more control.