Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stones Back Line

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flight Time, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I watched the Stones' 'Gimme Shelter' this weekend and noticed that their entire back line appeared to be Ampeg. The movie was made in '69-'70 time frame. Did Ampeg make big-rig (8x10 size) guitar cabs also?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You're probably right on the AMpeg observation. I have no idea what Ampeg was putting out at the time, but there where few others.

The movie "Ladies and Gentlemen, the "Rolling Stones" would be a good equipment shot flick, because it's all from the front. Guitars, amps, everything.

3. At that time, the Stones were using SVT rigs for the bass, and V-9 rigs for guitars. The V-9 is basically an SVT power section with the V-4 preamp section. Cabinet had nine 10" speakers. The V-9 rig looks virtually identical to an SVT rig. Somewhat rare these days (but not necessarily valuable), since most guitar players didn't want or need a rig that big.

4. Were they all also using Ampeg/Dan Armstrong guitars and basses? I know that Keith Richards used an Armstrong on a couple tours at that time but I don't know about Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman.

On another note, are there any notable recordings of guitar through an SVT?

5. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    The movie showed Keith Richards using a Dan Armstrong (Ampeg?) plexiglass guitar. I don't remember who the bassist was (Bill Wyman) but he was using a Fender bass...couldn't tell if it was a jazz or precison. I just saw the head stock.

6. I think he used a Mustang, actually. Wyman's said in interviews that he can't handle most long scale basses because his hands are so small.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have Stones picture books that show him in that era with Mustangs.

According to Wyman's guitar player interview, Mick and Keith always told him to go get a P-Bass, but he liked the 12LB peice of junk that he band-sawed and de-fretted and laquered. He used that same bass on every album (except live ones) up until "Some Girls" where he played a Travis Bean.

8. he did also have a Dan Armstrong bass at one point- mentioned in the Guitar player interview(included in the Bass Heroes book)- he specified a wood body to reduce the weight.

9. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Wood is lighter than plastic?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Alder, mahogany and most other tonewoods are much lighter than the luthite that the Dan Armstrongs were made of. Those things are even heavier than a T-40!:eek:

11. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Wow, I thought nothing would be heavier than a T-40. I had a T-40...fortunately, it was stolen.