Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stones gig on HBO

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Guys, I gotta tell ya', seeing Keith, Mick, and the drummer up there was a little painful to watch. Keith with his shirt opened :eek: trying to do all of these cool rock guitarist type spreads, Mick yelling and trying to dance, and the drummer looks like he's battling palsy up there. When do you say "Enough's enough."? Before you flamers start in on me, keep in mind, these are just my observations.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I caught a glimpse yesterday(pre-Bowl).

Last week, someone on one of the cable news channels said he never thought he'd see the day when 1/2 The Beatles were dead while all the Stones are still alive.
    (I guess he forgot about Brian Jones, though I get his point).

Anyway...I'm with you.
    Admirable that they're still doing their thing but-
    Played out!

(What really bugs me are these huge venues/stadia.
    How can any 'fan' enjoy these type of shows?).

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Last time I paid to see `em was in the late 70's. Even back then, I thought the show souless and unexciting. It was too "slick."

I thought they may have punched a time clock when they took/left the stage.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't see any reason they should give it up. I hope I can do it until I die. I've been doing it for over 30 yrs and I can't imagine ever not doing it.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The only way IMO is to watch the video (on satellite or DVD natch) and have a really kcikass home a/v system to play it on.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The Stones themselves have never been very complimentary about thier live sound, or show.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I have a little different take on it that you guys I guess. I never really got into 'em a whole lot, but I've always appreciated them and what they've done. The recent HBO concert was probably the first time I've really watched a whole show of theirs and I gotta tell ya. I was blown away at how good they sounded and performed... not to mention the simple fact that they're STILL around and together as a band! That alone says alot about the band.
    I don't worship the Stones, obviously.. but man, it's gotta be great playing live shows to packed arenas after all those years, with pretty much the same lineup as in the beginning.
    -Mike

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Yup, I did it. ....I killed another thread.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Can't let you do it!

I'm just an oldie with old-fashioned values, I guess.
    IMO, a small club(like The Cavern?) bests suits bands like The Stones.
    ;)

10. The obvious answer: They'll stop touring when no one'll pay to see them. I just CAN NOT look at Keith Richards for more than a few seconds - TOO OOGLY! :eek:

Hey to each their own, but, I recall something that Grace Slick (who I always thought was a complete whacko) said in an interview on VH-1. I don't remember what she said verbatim, but it was something like, "Oh no, you're not gonna see this 56 year old on stage trying to act like she's 30. No, no, those days are over."

I admired that.

It takes all kinds...

Mike

11. rickbass

In other words, Jim - you aren't nuts.

This bit of paying megabucks to see some legendary band a mile aways with crapass sound-in-the-round is beyond me. I saw the Who with The Pretenders as second bill a long time ago and I won't put up with it anymore.

I know the "real" bands get off on the small venues, too.

If the Stones play some clubs again, I just wonder if Darryl Jones will have to continue to act like a "nobody" behind the 3 Prunes??? :rolleyes:

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have friends who will drive x-hours to DC in order to catch a glimpse of The Stones...like you said, "sound-in-the-round"-
    They told me about the delay in seeing Jagger on the big screen & then hearing the words a second later.

Since you mentioned The Who-
    ;)
    Entwhistle was one of the few from "my generation" that got more & more proficient on his instrument as the decades passed. I like Keith Richards a lot...but I'm not sure he's any better today than he was in '66.
    ;)

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've watched parts here and there of the Stones' HBO show. I have to say I'm not a big fan of their music, and the live concert didn't do much to change that. To me they just seem like a bunch of old, mediocre musicians. The only thing that kept me from changing the channel right away was the amusement I got from watching their drummer.

14. rickbass

Funny you mentioned that, Jim. I always considered "Keef" second fiddle to Jones (R.I.P.)

Like a lot of artists, Richards was more imaginative when he was just getting into smack, IMO. I think that's when he came up with the crazy tunings for each of his guitars. Wood certainly never pushed Richards the way Jones did.

15. I watched a few songs then I got bored and went to the computer, It was a good show from what I watch and it wasn't boring its just my attention span leaked and the computer sounded nicer than watching T.V. I thought that the Instrumental was awesome (I dont know if it was the only one in the show but I know it was the first one, with the saxaphone player and Keith on the Maraca's and Harmonica), It had a cool solid bass line. So did all of the songs I watched. But yea I see where your all coming from they are some ugly mofo's. Atleast they had Cheryl Crow to make up for there ugliness.
    By the way did you see the guns on Daryll, Those suckers were HUGE! If I was a chick i'd get with him. well enough Homo-eroticism G'night everyone CYA.

P.S-does that Instrumental have a name or was it made up that night?