Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stooges Gig

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by rickbass, Aug 19, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whenever time allows and the European tour is over, I'd really appreciate hearing what it is like working with some of my heroes - the Ashtons and Iggy......and what gear you used.

2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    not to steal anyone's thunder, but check out www.corndogs.com.... ye might find summat ye'll like. :cool:

3. rickbass

Rats......nothing there yet nor at wattage.com .

Still, thanks for some good advice, Lurker.

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    look under "videos"

5. stylefive

stylefive

Mar 24, 2002
    Big Rapids, MI
    the detroit show was amazing, but alas, the mtv never fails to dissapoint me.

seeing the ig on the vma's brought to my mind a "glimmer" of a chance that the stooges might have showed up to play, being in town the night before for a benefit gig and the whole "there's no telling" tagline placed in the show's promotional spots.

Just goes to show that real rock will not be televised. Not to say Metallica didn't try, although i'm not so sure what they were trying to prove... again, that's mtv for ya.

thank you for heeding the stooges call, watt, carry on brother.

6. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

working w/iggy and the asheton brothers is a truly an honor and such a mindblow to be part of such a great music - it's had so much effect on my life. dave alexander was a righteous bassist and I love his parts, his "rubber band" feel to working the strings.

I'm playing w/my fingers. we do all the songs from the first two records except for "ann" and "we will fall" plus we do "skull ring" from iggy's upcoming record (ron and him wrote it). for these gigs, I use my little mid-60s gibson eb-3 and the amps have been two ampeg svt-II pro amps, each w/their own 8x10 cabinet.

on bass, watt

7. rickbass

Thank you, Mike.

If I could play with them, I could die happily...that would be one of the crowning of achievements of my life.

They are legends and seminal artists who made so much possible.

Not that they aren't fortunate to play with you, but the Stooges just turned my head around. As Lester Bangs said - "The greatest rock n' roll band of all time."