Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stooges Reunite...but

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by SisterRay, Jun 14, 2003.

1. SisterRay

SisterRay

Jun 14, 2003
    Mr. Watt, this might be a little off topic, but if you ever get a chance to talk to one of the stooges could you please ask them what the heck theyre doing playing with Sum 41, etc on the new record? the thought of it definitely makes me a bit nauseous.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I think iggy did a song w/those guys for his new record, an iggy one. though ron and scott play on a few other songs on that record, it's not that song and this record isn't really considered a stooges record - it's an iggy pop record.

I've been told about two more stooges gigs - aug 9 in long island (jones beach) and aug 14 in detroit (pine knob).

on bass, watt

3. SisterRay

SisterRay

Jun 14, 2003
    ah, alright, i read a story at www.pitchforkmedia.com and misinterpreted it as saying that they were doing an all stooges as well as a the iggy record. it still seems to me that iggy should be able to see through the whole neo pop punk thing but its not really my call. thanks.

4. SisterRay

SisterRay

Jun 14, 2003
    i was thinkin, while were on the topic, what are your thoughts on pop punk or the sort of music thats been labelled as punk in the 90s and afterwards? have any opinion? thanks

5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

there's still a punk scene and I think there always will be cuz I don't think punk as a style of music but more of a state of mind.

there probably will always be a pop scene too cuz that's where people try to make mersh music.

sometimes, these two scenes will collide! in the old days, we called it new wave...

I think everyone should have their own ideas on where things stand but should keep their minds open too about learning new things. trends will come and go, there's plenty of proof for that.

I come from the punk movement of the 70s and owe much to it, I dug the attitude about trying to come up w/your own sound and that's what I tried to do - it's what I'm still trying to do. there's a lot of folks still interested in that idea.

on bass, watt