Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stool sample request

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bass Barrister, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I think I saw one thread in the past regarding bass stools. The relative merits of bar stools v. no stools v. other types of seating were discussed.

Someone mentioned that they used the Quik Lok D-739. I looked on Quik loks' web site (www.quiklok.com) and found this model along with the D-749. Seems to me that the D-749 is the same as the 739 but adds the backrest.

Key dimensions:

Seat size: 12.4"D by16.3"W. padded
    Seat hight: adjusts from 22.2 to 33.6"
    weight: 15.5 lbs.

Lists for $159.99 but I've seen it for about $100 at Zzounds.

This is one recent review from some guy who uses it with his telescope as an "observation" chair:

"It's here! . . . . It came disassembled, but it took only fifteen minutes to put together. Made by Quik Lok in Italy as a musician's chair, it is constructed of heavy gauge steel, painted flat black. It has a well-padded seat of generous proportions, a padded back rest, and a foot rest. There are "grippy" plastic grips/plugs on the footrest and the ends of the cross members that form the feet. These plugs and grips will allow the chair to remain stationary when in use. The fit and finish is pretty good, with only a couple of flaws in the paint or rough edges. The literature describes it as weighing 15.5 pounds, so it is well constructed and quite sturdy. The website says it is rated at accepting a load of 250 pounds, which sounds about right. The seat's height adjusts from a low of 23" to as much as 32" high with the seatback installed, and about three inches higher if it is removed. Although I didn't set the seat up at its extreme highest adjustment, I'm not sure it may be entirely safe at that height. This range of adjustment will fine for my particular needs, although someone else might have different requirements and should be aware of the chair's range of adjustment. The seat is comfortable, but does not have springs or gas struts supporting it. The bracket that attached the seat to post and allow for adjustment does its job securely, but has enough play built into it that the seat rocks a little. This might be a bit distracting when one is concentrating at the eyepiece, but it is not unsafe. The footrest adjusts easily and is a welcome feature, but it has a little slop in it, too. The movement in the seat and the footrest is not large, but care must be taken when shifting in the seat so as to avoid small jerks that might cause one to lose track of the object one is observing. On the whole it is reasonably well-made and will be fine at supporting an oberver at the telescope in comfort. It is possible that it is a little less refined than more expensive chairs, but it is as much as $100.00 cheaper than some of these chairs, too, which is fine with me! I believe it will suit me fine for now and will be a nice addition to my setup."

I have back problems (who doesn't) and think I need something a tad more cushier than a bar stool.

Comments??

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've sat on this one briefly, and it seems as if it would work for DB. It's comfortable enough and very well made.

I'm now swinging back into the "no stool" direction, since I think that any back problems I have can be at least partially traced back to playing seated several hours, night after night. I also don't need another piece of equipment to lug around. I'd rather spend my money on some really good shoes at this point.

Besides, when I play standing, fewer people make make the "look, a cello!" comment. Most of the time, they call it by the proper name... the "stand-up bass" :rolleyes:

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I so wanted this thread to be funny....what a disapointment :(

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd take a look at some good inserts as well. I use Superfeet (the green ones) when I go backpacking and they help support my arches and keep me from pronating my feet. I used to practice barefoot at home but my right foot started to hurt. Got meself some Chaco flipflops (**nudge nudge BIGGUS**) that have a little arch support in them and my aching feet went away. Now I just try to focus on balancing my weight instead of shifting to the right foot when I'm shedding. The Chaco's made a difference.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha... I kinda thought the same thing.

If I pick up DB as planned in the near future, it is nice to know peopel with back pains can testify to stools not beign so good. I would hate to aggrevate my current bluging disc issue. :meh: Investing in some very comfortable shoes seems like a good option.

6. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    i've got gig basso by concert design, cost $380 by the time they shipped from canada. It's very nice, padded, cutout seat, solid, got a back and everything, which i don't use while playing but is good when not playing in rehearsal.

Of course, right after i bought it, i went back to using a bent endpin (standing), so now it only gets used for theater gigs and the odd orchestra job, so it seems liek it was to much $. . . .

7. I have used a stool for about 6 years, and I would not go back to standing. The last three yrs. I been using a ROC N SOC, which is a contoured drum seat, but they sell it as a 24", or 32" stool for about $160. It's a really comfortable seat, no cutting off circulation in the right leg, and if you sit up straight, there is no problem. I find sitting more comfortable for playing in the upper register because I don't have to bend over like one does when standing. When playing with a bow, I don't have the problem of having to move the bass to play the E string. I can switch from the G to the E very quickly, and easierly. I play the bass open, somewhat like a cello. String crossings are very accessable. Also, I don't have to stabilize the instruiment with my body because it's resting on my left knee, and right thigh. Never mind the fact, I don't get tired from standing in one place. IMHO, it's with the money, and effort of carrying it around.

Dennis

8. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    There was a thread awhile ago about bass chairs and most seemed to be in agreement that the Roc n Sock was the best option. But, since then, on the advice of my bass teacher and my decision as well, I would much rather play standing. Easier on the back, more freedom of movement. Easier to play thumb position, IMHO. Took awhile to get used to it, but my preference and easier for soing some vocals as well.

For long rehearsals, its easy to bring along a great chair I got thru Lemur Music. Very light, adjustable height, folds and unfolds easily, and the price is around $125. The only thing missing was some soft padding, so I added a pillow that fits on the tops. But, most of the time I totally enjoy not having to bring along any kind of chair.