1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stools-- (the kind you sit on)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by drurb, Jul 16, 2008.

1. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'm thinking of returning to playing on a stool as I did decades ago. Hey, I'm getting old and it'd be nice to sit. Yes, I know there were threads a while back about this but surely the market has changed. Given my height, the usual 29" bar stool just doesn't cut it. Seems like 30-31" would be the ticket. What are your favorites?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Jaco only needed 3 legs....

3. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    ...and where is he now?

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I've been meaning to get one (for practice).

I'm 6'4" and noticed that (where else?) "barstools.com" has a good "Extra Tall" selection.

(kinda' pricey though).

5. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I really like Lemur's ergonomic stool. It is infinitely adjustable to any height you want, folds up completely flat, and has a well placed foot rest. I would however, like a little more padding for my ancient boney butt than this model provides.

6. rdmjazz

rdmjazz Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2000
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    I use a Roc-N-Soc stool, it's very comfortable.

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions. The last time I looked around, some folks were touting these Quik-Lok stools. Anybody here tried them?

8. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Seems these only extend to 29". No?

9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I use one of these in my practice room, it is by far the most comfortable stool I've ever owned. I never did measure the height but I think it is the standard 29".

In any case if you could somehow retro fit that comfy drum thrown on a taller stool or modify the design you'd be sitting pretty!

10. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I own this and would not recommend it. Mine tends not to stay in position and the seat tends to bend forward. Not terrible. Perhaps good for gigs and better than a bar stool, but not as nice as the Roc-n-Soc.

11. rdmjazz

rdmjazz Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2000
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  12. MisterV619

MisterV619

May 15, 2006
    :hyper: My vote goes to Roc-N-Soc as well.

13. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    You may wish to consider one of these:

[​IMG]

14. wdave

wdave

Apr 7, 2008
    Atlanta

15. can you put a hitch on that and trailer a full-stack :D

16. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I have one. It's very poorly made. Rattly, unstable, shaky, and the seat cover started wearing through after about a week of use. It's also heavy, but I would have been willing to deal with the weight if it were well built.

17. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    I am using this:
    http://www.qwikseat.com/
    It's pretty comfortable, lightweight, study & portable. It will go higher than 30". I have a friend who plays keyboards and is 6'5". He uses the Lemur / Quik Loc stool and it seems to work great for him.
    -J

18. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Don't know how to post a link yet, But I just picked this up (see title) from Musicians Friend for $50. 9 different height options and a back rest and foot rest. Seems pretty durable. Heavy though, added one more trip to the load in.

19. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH