1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stoopid Question: Can you peel a multi layer pickguard

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SBassman, Aug 6, 2008.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    A probable very stupid question:

I have a white-black-white pickguard.
    Is there any way to peel the white away, leaving
    me with a black pickguard? :)

2. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    I'm gonna go with a no, unless the layers are made of different materials. You may be able to "shave" away the top layer, but you'd probably just be better off buying a black pickguard.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm in a situation where replacements don't exist, so I was hoping a stunt like this might work.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    What bass do you have?

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    SX LTD Jazz

6. In theory you could sand it away... but that would an an incredibly messy job, not to mention nearly impossible to get a decent result from, and would likely just ruin the entire pickguard.

Painting the original one black would be easier! Throw a couple coats of clear over it to help keep it on there.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    But isn't it a sandwich of 3 layers?

8. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    The pickguard which is "multi-layers" is in all likelihood one solid piece, all melted together at the factory very early in the production process. Because it is a Jazz bass, there in all likelihood is a pickguard which will fit, but you just haven't found it yet. Maybe contact Rondo music about it.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Mine is a short scale. Already checked with Kurt/Rondo.
    Nothing available. I have to rework what I have, or spend big bucks to get a custom one cut.

I was hoping the layers could be separated somehow.

10. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Go to your local paint store and get a can of black Vinyl Dye.

It's like spray-paint, but it actually bonds with the plastic. Computer modders use this stuff.

11. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Not so fast there, SBassman! Don't be so quick to think your situation is helpless. This isn't the Stump Talk Bass gameshow!

;)

Kidding. Anyways, what about dyeing the pickguard? And to have someone take a pickguard and do a 10-15 minute custom cut job is "big bucks?" Buy a regular black pickguard, and then kindly ask your local high school shop teacher if he could do it for you for free. Any good high school shop classroom has a cutter that can easily handle this. Heck, if I had the right tool, I'd do it for free.

It's not quantum physics. It's a pickguard. There's got to be a cheap way to get this!

;)

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    :)

Every quote I have received for cutting a custom guard has been
    significant bucks - 50, 60. That's a whole lot.

If I had a tool to cut it myself, I'd try, too.

13. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Again, check out your local high school shop classes, and try to de-emphasize the word "custom" as people start to see dollar signs in their eyes when you mention what you want to do is "custom". Remember what you're really talking about is a very, very simple and relatively small shape cut out of a piece of plastic that costs a few bucks, at best, to produce.

If this pickguard was done in corian (countertop surface, or marble) I would agree that it might/should cost a lot, or $50-$60 or more. But I keep thinking this is a very small and thin piece of plastic.

Worst case scenario, think dye.

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Good stuff. Thanks.

15. 0592543.jpg

Works like a charm. Just scuff up the finish on the pickguard first.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021