Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stop me before I buy again!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Jan 31, 2003.

1. I just sent a check for this Hanewinckel ( http://www.hguitars.com/ )

[​IMG]

It's a 6-string Solaris semi-hollowbody ( Quilted Maple top with Mahogany body and Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard) with RMC Piezo pickups, MIDI, and Thomastik-Infeld Acousticore strings. I heard it over the phone and it sounded incredible! It should be here within 2 weeks.

I'll post some sound samples when I get it.

- Dave

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That's beautiful.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I hate your guts! thats one of the most pretty basses ive ever seen!

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A beauty indeed!

Will you have to accustom yourself to a no-thumbrest (i.e. no mag pups) bass, or do you do the floating thumb thing already?

5. I do the floating thumb thing on my 7-string for muting purposes. It shouldn't be hard to adjust it to this new instrument. Also, I could use the B string as a thumb rest. If I feel the need for one, I'll have Pete make me one. I probably won't though.

- Dave

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PICK UPS!?!? I think you should get a refund... at least untill Pete can locate where the Pick ups ran off to.

J/k

That is a beautiful Bass... What's all the knobs and switches and stuff do?

preamp?

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, dave. you're a man after my own heart :D

8. There's a volume and 3-band EQ ( Bartolini electronics, I think ) and a mid Q switch.

The ones next to the bridge are: MIDI Bank switcher, MIDI volume, and a toggle for MIDI MIDI+Piezo and Piezo. I think. I may have remembered that wrong though.

- Dave

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That thing is booty-full!

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    That word is SOOO going in my "favorite word" thread.

11. Holy cow that's gorgeous! I just wish I could try a Hanewinckel ( even though I can't afford one:rolleyes: )

12. Here are the official specs I just got from Pete:

Mahogany/Maple/Walnut 7 pc. neck
    East Indian Rosewood fingerboard
    Quilt Maple on Hondurus Mahogany core
    Solaris body
    Semi-hollow
    Nylon Acousticore strings
    RMC piezo
    RMC PD-1 KB (poly-drive MIDI)
    Bartolini NS2TMB 18v electronics

:D

- Dave

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Ehhh... Keep buying. That's all the hell I ever do. I need some company. ;)

Nice instrument, btw.

14. paleale - been a masticater for 17 proud years (out of 21 lol).

That is one of the most unique and gorgeous basses around. Dave, I have had a Hanewinckel FETISH for about a year now. If you asked me what two companies I would most want a bass from at this point, Hanewinckel would be one of them.

15. Thanks! And thanks to everyone for their positive comments.

That one was entirely Pete's design. It was made for himself and also as a testbed for his new semi-hollowbody and nylon string features. He's done many Piezos with MIDI. I've now bought three of his personal basses and two that were custom made for me.

- Dave

16. I don't like semi-hollow guitars at all, but I LOOVVVVVVVVE semi-hollow basses.

Dave, the only times I have heard piezo pickups played alone they sounded a little harsh to me. How do you remedy this, or is it not a problem with the bass's evident versatility?

17. The fact that it has nylon strings probably changes the whole equation regarding the sound. I haven't heard it except for over the phone. It does has a 3-band EQ and Bartolini electronics so I should be able to shape the tone enough to remove any really harsh high-end. It may not even be an issue though. We'll see when I get it. I'll post some clips.

- Dave

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow! Sweet. Now the question is, do you have anything MIDI to go with it? $$$$ :D

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweet, Dave. Now you can sell me that fine fretless 7! ;)

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Dave,

That's nicer than nice!! You and Pete have excellent taste in basses. And I know first hand that Pete sure knows how to put 'em together.

Peace,

James