Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stop Playing These Songs!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CJ_Marsicano, Mar 29, 2005.

1. I agree. Except the the Ramones. To me they can never be covered enough! :hyper: Unless of course horrible bands cover their songs, in that case. PLEASE STOP! :scowl:

2. I wish I had written it! Damn, I should have thought of this myself!

3. I have to agree with the author about "I Wanna Be Sedated"... and with you about how they can never be covered enough. The Ramones had how many albums come out, 20? How come no bar band worth its rep does "Blitzkrieg Bop" or "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker"?

4. Good point! I can't say though that I've been around enough bands locally, let alone bar bands (no reason to go to a bar, when you can't even drink), that have ever done any Ramones covers. Most of the time the local teenage bands tend to play more modern songs, or songs that they have tried to write themselves.

5. Believe you me, I've heard as many bands mangle "Sedated" as the author of the Stop Playing These Songs blog (which I've bookmarked!)

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So true. I think it needs more than 3 though.

I would like to add Smoke on the Water and Smells Like Teen Spirit.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This site should be renamed to "stop playing these covers on purpose". I don't know how many times I've been in a band which has collectively vowed to never play "Sweet Home Alabama", only to have several people request it at shows. But I'd never tell a group of drunk southern rock affecionados to piss off over a request like that. It's a fun song to play (if you're not doing it every night) and people love it.

The Ramones on the other hand.. I just don't get it. :confused:

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    G-C-D

HELLZ YEAH!!!11

9. i love playing blitzkrieg bop!
    and teenage lobotomy!

however thats not our style anymore... :crying: :bassist:

funny page :)

10. luckily, we don't play any of those.

may I add - anything involving dressing up (show band style) and playing the Blues Brothers, the Grease Megamix or Tina Turner.

And "My Sharona"

Enough already. :bag:

11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    nah.

you gotta play what works.

or YOU don't work.

It's pretty simple.

12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    My band plays those first 3. 2 of them are usually our biggest hits. People LIKE to hear them.

is that so criminal?

I've seen plenty of bands that play songs that no one knows very well.

and know what? they are usually met with silence, indifference, and no bookings.

13. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I think everyone understands that these are big hits with audiences. But this creates a couple of problems. (1) They can get stale for bands who perform them every night. (2) People who are in clubs every night have to hear them again and again, often played by bands who are "phoning it in." No reason for your band not to play them if you can keep the energy up.

14. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    Bob:

Never saw you before today in various threads

but I like the way you think!

15. Once again, a good argument for carpet-bombing culturally bankrupt places like Northern Virginia.

16. I'd rather hear a band that believes in what they're playing. Sticking to "what works" isn't always the way to go. Mix it up some more, assh*les! Start a musical revolution, for chrissakes!

17. What don't you get?

18. Question: How long does it take for your band to give in to those stupid inbreds?

19. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    I believe in playing what the crowd wants to hear. You're there to please the crowd, not the other way round, especially when you're getting money for it.

And btw, your musical taste isn't *better* than anyone else's.