1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Stop Pretending You're Having Fun At This Outdoor Concert"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Wow, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

"Outdoor concerts are garbage, and not only because they smell like it. Don’t take my word for it. 'I don’t even understand them in theory,' Lexington, Ky.-based freelance journalist Sarah Baird, 31, said, calling them 'antithetical to enjoying music'.”

I apologize that this is behind a paywall. You may be able to get access by deleting WaPo cookies or using private browsing.

Stop Pretending (Washington Post)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Tony In Philly likes this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    tl;dr Rain is wet and sound mixes are affected by wind.

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    A self-important little blowhard that thinks everyone thinks just like her.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think the author takes it to the absurd, but I don't totally disagree.

I'm 48. The grass is for the kids. I sit in a seat. And I mean a GOOD seat. My nearest amphitheater, Walnut Creek in Raleigh, has a roof over the front section and a grass hill in the back. That's where I've see my last few outdoor shows.

The dipsticks are on the grass hill. I'm up front hanging with people who (while still having a good time) have some sense. Rain? Not a problem. Mosquitoes? Get some Off or one of those trendy little anti-bug bracelets that only contain responsibly sourced free range organic green tea or something.

So, while I think the author added 2+2 and came up with 75, I do share some of her eye rolls regarding outdoor shows.

5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The author is lumping all kinds of outdoor venues together. Typical lazy-assed journalism. There are a couple of medium-sized outdoor venues near me that are my favorite places to see music. Most of these cited issues are not issues at all at these places.

6. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    She’s not wrong. I’ve stopped going to indoor concerts for many of the same reasons. Especially the obnoxious drunks.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Let's add obnoxious cellphone users to the list.

8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    They are everywhere. :sour:

9. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

At a concert, drunks>>cellphone abusers...(edit: prefer the imbibers to tech-obsessed) however they usually occupy concentric circles on a Venn diagram. ;-)

I am far more often the former than the latter throughout concert history but past 10 years have been "responsible adult" - at least in theory.

As a player, outdoor gigs provide numerous challenges not experienced indoors.

As a fan, would prefer all outdoor shows of note, down h'ar in KY to be staged in April, October and November. Build a bonfire if chilly, and dig the 68 degree (F) day.

Agree that an ampitheatre, covered is a fine way to see and hear a show- especially when inclimate weather ensues.
    Yes have been on the hill in the mud 10's of times but would prefer to save any more of those experiences for a Beatle's reunion show at Shea...well maybe Foxborough

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Department of Redundancy Department...[​IMG]

11. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    So stay home Snowflakius. God forbid anyone is exposed to the outdoors for more than a 30 second walk between their car and Starbucks. Back when I was young, we had to walk uphill both ways through a hurricane just to sit in the mud that used to be grass seats. (Shakes fist angrily.)

FilterFunk, Nashrakh, scuzzy and 19 others like this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if you're happy and you know it = clap your hands!
    if you're unhappy and you know it = clap one hand!
    :laugh:

"travis" looks like a male in his pic...but maybe you already knew that. :D

i too, have taken a theoretical approach to adulthood. ;) nice to know of others practicing 'denial' at a higher level! :laugh:

13. BwanaDust

BwanaDust Commercial User

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lincoln Learning Solutions - Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center
    the dichotomy between your post and signature...

14. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Our city has a weekly concert all summer on of all nights, Wednesday. Sponsored by local business, and run by the local Rotary it initially started as a concert that was inteneded to draw 500-1000 people. The first year they exceeded expectations and drew 5000. Now, in it's 9th season, it's drawing 15-20000 people.

A great place to see quality headliners (Mind you they're usually tribute acts from Minnesota), and a great place for the warm up acts to be seen and get a little name recognition.

Mosquitos are minimal, the food vendors are great, and if it wasn't fun... why would it be so successful?

FOH is professionally provided, and is typical concert level systems.

If it rains… the event is canceled and the band still gets paid.

Mosquitos? They must have a service because they aren't that bad.

Drunks... They have a beer tent, and the bartenders know when to cut people off... no one drinks outside of the Beer corral.

Other cities come to us to see how we do it, just so they can bring this kind of success to their towns.

I LOVE SUMMER!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  15. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Talkbass needs an "lol" button. :D

16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Catch this subhead in the WaPo article: "One in a series of stories
    calling into question the supposed joys of summer."

I have a modest proposal
    to offer:

How about the people who don't enjoy outdoor music shows just stop going to them? Pfffft!

(My band is headlining an outdoor show in Charleston WV this Friday. Looking forward to it!)

Quinn Roberts, Clark Dark and equill like this.
  17. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I don't totally disagree on the humidity and heat issues. But outdoor festivals in the fall (with actually cool fall temperatures) are my favorite places to perform,

DrMole likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ah. I confused the people he quoted with the author. Or perhaps I was just referring to the woman he quoted.

JRA likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Travis M. Andrews is a pop culture writer for The Washington Post. He joined The Post in 2016 as a reporter for Morning Mix. Previously, he was a travel and culture editor for Southern Living magazine and a pop culture and tech contributor for Mashable.

0535C763-1FAE-4FC2-A6A7-EF8B9C8D1970.

20. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Except for rain and bugs, I don't see anything in the article that isn't a problem at most indoor concerts too. I've experienced bad room acoustics, oppressive volume, stifling temperatures, annoying idiot drunks, nightmare parking 1000 miles away, and some idiot shouting "freebird!" at loads of inside events.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.