Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stop the negativity around here!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 25, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Wow, I never thought that I would see this in such quantity here on TB.

Alot af answers and comments to people here have been very negative and downright insulting. Even experienced and long time members here have seemingly sunk down to this level.

You have to remember that not everyone shares the same view as you do. That is what makes the world such an interesting place. I´m all for debating and exchanging of ideas, but when it goes down to a level of great negativity and insults, then there is something very wrong.

I have a good rule when I post here; I write my answer, then I stop for 30-60seconds and think about this, re-read my answer and more often than not I cancel my reply.

Let´s keep this place civil and a good place to come to!

Being positive does not cost anything and it makes you and others feel a whole lot better!

Over and out!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm usually civil but when people blame the USA for EVERYTHING & every thing that is bad comes fromr the USA & the USA is Evil & the USA is bla, bla, I get tired of just using the "Report this pst to A Mod" Link.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Actually Nino, I am the root of all things bad/evil.

Why? Because money is the root of all evil, and I am a Money.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Keep the negativity. It is alot more fun that boards that are all "Yay, a new day is here... Gee, something bad might happen to me today, but that is OK because it will lead to something good, won't it? I think it will... it should... oh no... what if it doesn't? *Pops more headcase pills* Whew... everything is happy again."

Happy people are crazy.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    hmmm...well....i would say sumthing negative...but im gonna try and be positve from now and just not say anything to him...

bobby

5. I was a frequent in TB way back....but then I avoid visiting this site for the same reason as the starter of this thread.

I respect disagreements, or different ideas, but sometimes people with the strongest("rudest") comments seems to win the arguments. I for one, sometimes simply do not bother to continue the debate or arguments simply to aviod any rude or unresolve arguments that result in the thread being close. I mean sarcasm, insults etc are simply unacceptable to me. Regardless if the topics are sensitive issues like politics, or religion, or what have you. It's simply too bad, that opinionated people simply are too narrow minded to consider other people's view to make pointless points.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hey how's it going....I'm going to totally change the subject here....I saw on the news some of what's happening in Indonesia just now! It then dawned on me that I hadn't seen you in a while and wondered how you were getting on....and if you were OK!

Anyway, back on topic....I am a great believer in 'if I've nothing nice to say, say nothing'! However, I can understand where nino and a lot of other guys are coming from....there has been much US bashing going on lately!

I guess I do have to put my hand up and say that sometimes I don't stick 100% to my beliefs, and find the need to reply....sometimes not alwasy constructively;)

Ivar - good thread...I will try to be positive in future! Hopefully your thread will give everyone else a quick reality check too!:bag:

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol. Ok, 1) Does such a board exist? As boards go, this one is the closest I've ever seen to what you describe. People are more positive here than I'm used to seeing.

2) Would you prefer that people were depressed than happy?!? Takes all sorts... :D

3) On a serious note, if you're resentful of people who do take a positive & optimistic slant on things (even so-called "bad" things), then that says something about your mentality.

4) No, happy people are not crazy, quite the opposite. Do you ever come across people who seem to be happy all the time? Whenever you see them, they're always enthusiastic and have a natural air of happiness & positivity. They're the people that have got it sorted, y'know? They're not crazy.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How's that little saying go about arguing over the internet? ... ;) :D

Here's a little gem:

As for the rest of the stuff, I know it gets tiring hitting the little button Nino, but let me just add that I've always appreciated people who do. Trust me, I understand that the idea of just "reporting" something and not retorting with the fervor with which you intend can be quite trying, but I have to ask you to keep doing what you're doing. Don't sink to their level, don't prod them on, and don't give them what they want; attention.

Odie, jt and I will clean out the garbage, you guys just keep letting us know when it starts to pile up.

9. I agree with jazzbo.

As for the negativity...I don't really see very much around here. This forum is probably one of the nicest and most civilized I've been in. Though I admit it isn't perfect and could stand some improvements in some areas, relatively speaking it's a haven. 99% of the forums and message boards out there are populated either by loud-mouthed jerks with poor grammar and a vulgar sense of humor, or are vigilant elitists, ready to pounce on you the moment you make a wrong move and rip you to pieces.

I've frequented a couple of punk rock forums (which are infamous for the latter example). And it's not rare for a person so sign on, and post something along the lines of:

"Hi! I'm new here! nice to be here. This seems like a cool place.

My Favorite bands are: Yada, blah blah, whootawhoo, yubchub, etc.

Hope to see you around [smiley face]"

Within a few minutes there are at least 5 responses:

"Yada? Yada SUCKS! You're An idiot!"
    "Oh great, more 3-headed sperm for the gene pool"
    "Wow, you like crappy bands, you should kill yourself."

etc.

At TB people are very friendly and helpful. There are a fair share of jerks, but I think this is one of the few communities where people can really be themselves and not feel defensive. Even the jerks lighten up and turn out to be pretty cool people.

10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Errr....Did I miss something here? :confused:

Someone please fill me in either on PM or here...thank yous so very much....And if its any consolation...I send out a HUGE hug to my TB family....:D

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    BigWigWill,

Your ideas suck. You should kill yourself.

12. Furthermore, go suck an egg.

13. My mom tells me that every night before I go to sleep....:(

And she's dead...

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    :)

15. haha...

I think I posted something 'offensive' earlier and it got deleted...

that sucks:meh:

a question:

Can I get banned for posting something naughty/offensive?

16. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Hey!!! Yada sUcKs!!!! YaTta RuLz

[​IMG]

17. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    You're not all there eh?

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, the last 2 days, it's been early in the am before I got my 1st cup of coffee & I have to read how stupid Americans are. If I wasen't such a lazy bum & went downstairs to get my cup of coffee, it might of just ended with the "Reply to Mod" link.

19. Hey thanks for the great concerns :) Actually many things has happen in INdonesia, you probably mean the fight betwen the seperatist movement and the INdonesian arm forces? Those are about 2000 Kilometers away from my place, so no problem....things are still safe here.

I've been staying away from TB....for certain reasons.... :p

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I hate this thread, and I hate you,