Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wizo, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizo

wizo Guest

Jan 23, 2003
    why do you people make fun of bassists that are famous that dont do complicated lines in there song even though what theyre playing sounds good in the song ,who are you to judge if the bass player sucks , how would u like it if u got famous and everyone started dissing u cuz u played non complicated lines cuz if u did u might make the song sound horrible:rolleyes:
  2. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Personally, I think I understood about half of that, with the spelling and all.

I understand 'wut' 'u' 'r' saying, but there's the other side of the issue: Just because something's complicated doesn't mean it sounds good.
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think that's what he was trying to say.
  4. umm yeah ok cuz like cool l8r
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    But sometimes less really is more.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, why did you double post? :confused:
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we dont make fun of bassists that are famous that dont do complicated lines in there songs, we make fun of bassists who are famous who dont know how to play their instrument, and scrue up when they are playing, and if i can here someone scrue up then i am going to make fun of them and we also make fun of folks who dont like punctuation and periods so pleeze keep posting cuz this is reelly fun oh and by the way most of the songs with the simple lines sound horrible anyway
  8. wizo

wizo Guest

Jan 23, 2003
    ya but if they never claimed to be good then you shouldn't diss them its not there famous
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  10. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Don't forget good ol' Fieldly, cuz, ya we're talking 'bout him right?
  11. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    ise almose poop me panse agin.thas just grate

Well first of all, even though the guy didn't write it quite as eloquently as some, he does have a valid point that there's an endless amount of bashing of famous bassists who have no talent. Why is that?

I think this partly stems from the obvious that a lot of TBers work hard (in our 9-5 jobs jobs and our music) and practice and love to play bass, while some yahoo who knows nothing about his instrument makes millions of dollars. I bet there are a lot of TBers who are a hundred times better than some of the crap bass players out there cashing in, but they have something that Mr. Crap Bassist doesn't have: a love for the instrument and a willingness to improve one's playing. To me that's greater than any amount of money since I got into bass out of a love for music, not women or money. (Not to say that I don't like women. :))

So does that mean we have a right to bash crap bassists? Well, we have a right to an opinion, so yeah, we do have a right to do that. But I think the way we present our opinions could use some work. "I don't think so and so is all that great because...." is much better than the typical "Man. That guy sucks! GRRR ARR. HE CAN SUCK A...." or the added sarcastic remark that has to take a bite out of someone's horrible grammar usage (or lack thereof) rather than address the topic.

I haven't been on this board as long as most (and I will subscribe, I swear!), but I already have a feeling of how it works and what to expect out of it. It's an incredible resource filled with some great gals and guys, and I really wish I knew about it before I started learning bass or got my first bass. (If that happened I would've gotten an Essex and had some better resource books. ;)) But the "this guy sucks" threads do get tired (second only to the "What ______ do I use for punk?" threads).
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's not so much the bassist that are our targets, our targets are the n00bs that say things like, "Les Claypool is good, but he just doesn't have the low end wizardry of Mark Hoppus," or "Jaco's basslines suck, they are so boring, how do I get my bass to sound like Fieldy's." Of course this is all in 1337 speak, which I'm trying to avoid speaking in because I do a terrible job of it.

I like it when bassist make simple sound good... Adam Clayton is often given "props" for this very thing. Play what the song calls for, etc.
  14. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.