1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stopped my guitarist dead in his solo!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 27, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Last night we had band practice. Between my head, onboard EQ, my VT and OCD pedals, I finally, well almost there, got my sound I hear in my head to come through my cab. My B7K is arriving tomorrow so I will have to start over to some degree but that's half the fun I think, playing with all your gear to get out of it what you hear in your head. Anyway, back to the story. We came to a section in the song where my guitar player rips his solo. I play chords to hold the rhythm and the bottom end of what's going on. I stomp on my OCD and and start the section, and my guitarist stopped playing!!!! He was so blown away by what he heard coming out of my rig that he stopped what he was doing! I then proceeded to knock my bandmates out the rest of practice with my sound and tone. It was such a great feeling. I had to share this experience with all my fellow TB'ers. I've been trying to get my sound for the last 4 months and it seems like it's about there but like I said, with the arrival of my B7K tomorrow I'll have to do some adjusting but I think it can only get better from here. Very happy :bassist: here.

2. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow!!! 4 months??? I've been trying to find MY sound for 25 years!!! Good news is, I'm almost there too!!!

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hahaha yes sir! Believe me, it's practically ALL I've done since the beginning of the year. Plus I've been researching different gear and and buying and returning more gear than I have in 14 years. So it's paid off. Like I said, I'm not all there but it's getting close. Who knows, it may change in another month or so :bag:

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've played for 14 years and never once, up until about 4 or 5 months ago, have I thought or tried to get the sound I was hearing in my head out of my equipment. I always just plug n played. Until recently I haven't had the money to buy different gear to so I could get what I was after. But believe me, I still obsess over it. That is real fun for me, trying different things and seeing what you can get out of it.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1

6. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    + another.

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It's pretty sweet all the options that are out there now a days.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's highly unlikely that a guitarist would notice anything except what he is playing.

9. Cycho

Cycho

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm always "almost there" on my sound and probably always will be.

10. This,

Based on the thread title, I thought the OP was gonna give us the old punchline...

"I put a piece of sheet music in front of him"

Lol,

Shane

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ain't that the truth! It is actually the first time I think he's noticed exactly what I'm doing. Guess I'm doin somethin right.