Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Storage for my..er..junk

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have a couple of items that I use regularly in the course of my night's work; namely, the preamp box for the AMT mic (about the size of a box of frozen peas :meh: ), and the Raven Labs blender (bigger box of frozen peas :eyebrow: ). Not your usual rack-friendly shapes. I'd like to have them in one small package that would remain hooked up, so that I can just whip 'em out when I'm running late and sweaty for the downbeat. I've seen some soft racks (now there's a thread subject) that allow access to the front and back of the items within. Any ideas for my little odd-shaped toys?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    They do make very small 2 space and higher "effects" rack units that are very shallow, suitable for your use. A metal shelf to fit is not much dough, and you could pick up an inexpensive rack power strip in which each wall wart could be plugged. You can get creative mounting units to the shelf- the Raven units all have a threaded hole in the bottom designed to match up to a standard hole location on pre-drilled rack shelves.

However, given those are the only two units you need to mount, I think you could get creative with a variety of items, such as small tool boxes, etc., to hold the two items and hopefully some cables. When I get this sort of challenge I usually march through Home Depot, K-Mart, etc. with a tape measure, waiting for something to jump off the shelf as my personal light bulb becomes illuminated.

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I do the home depot creative shopping thing myself when I need some sort of contraption that doesn't seem to exist in the size or shape I'm wanting it to.

Right now I have a simple flat 1/4" board about 8"x10" that I mount a pedal tuner and a di box & eq pedal on with that super velcro stuff (the kind where both sides are the same) I have all the wall warts pluged into a power strip which is also secured to the board. So all I need to do is set it down plug into the ac, the amp & the bass and I'm ready to go. I hate mucking about with any more cords then I have before a gig. And after a gig I hate having to unplug and put away things even more. I carry it all in a little padded bag for a laptop that I picked up at a second hand store.

4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have a bracket that I believe is made for the Fishman Bass Blender that attaches to the bottom of my Raven Labs blender and then it clips to the shaft of my music stand. I've had it for a while and think that I had to get the size of the hole in the Raven Labs Blender changed to accommodate the bolt tht comes with the Fishman bracket, although this was no big deal. Since I'm in Los Angeles, I seem to recall that Steve Rabe advised me on what to do and may have even re-tapped the whole for me at his shop. However, it is very convenient to have the Raven Labs blender so immediately accessible.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Great tips, guys! I think I might play around with STAGGERLEE's approach and cobble up somthing that will fit into a laptop bag. Good ideas; thanks for doing my thinking for me!