1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Storage Locker Practice Space: Am I getting screwed?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    So I have been in a band for the last 6 months or so and we practice out of a storage garage. This is a crappy storage garage, but it's fairly large (I'm not sure specifics). Anyway - I am asked to pay $70 monthly for this place and I am 1 of 5 members of this band. So that would mean the garage is $350, which seems really high to me. Am I getting screwed here? Do other people use these with similar pricing?

Depending on responses, if this is an issue of me being overcharged by my bandmates, how would you guys recommend handling this? I'm on a really tight budget so a $70 monthly charge is painful. I'm also frustrated because this monthly cost was not mentioned when I auditioned for the band and only told to be after about a month of playing...thoughts or tips would be welcome

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm not sure what the average storage garage runs (you mentioned yours was big...like, park an airplane big?), but $350 seems a bit expensive to me. At that price, it better come with AC/Heat, a bathroom, and kitchen.

3. Don't know where you live and what local storage space cost are but that sounds a little high. Are you sure you are not being upcharged and paying more than your equal share at that cost? The only reason I mention that is cause they did not disclose it to you at time of audition which sounds kind of dubious to me. If they are overcharging, then someone is playing you for a chump and I would bail.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    pacojas and s2bs2 like this.
  4. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I used to have a storage shed it was probably 10x20 $65 a month. We built a wall just inside the roll up door hung a ceiling and put a window unit in. Those things get extremely hot in the Texas summers. $70 a month I would ask to see the bill before I gave them any money.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have a 20X20 storage space with electricity and pay $110 a month.
    You're getting hosed.

6. AciDBatH666

AciDBatH666 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    We're in a storage unit. It's about 10x20 and we pay $20/person per month between 5 guys. So it's about $100. Before this me and two other bands split an RV unit in the same storage place and it cost 13 or 14 of us $20ish/month, or $280 total per month. That unit was about 3 times the size. I know storage units vary, but it sounds like you're getting hosed. I'd call them up and ask for their price for the same size unit you're in now and find out what it really costs

AltGrendel and petrus61 like this.
  7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Are they including beer,catered food and a stripper or two after every practice?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    NWB, obimark, mattbass6945 and 2 others like this.
  8. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

What? You mean like Arfa Daley's lockup?

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  9. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Depends where you are, security and amenities. Might be reasonable. Call around to similar spots, or call the landlord and ask what the rate is.

D.A.R.K. and zontar like this.
  10. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    This...
    Rondo

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  11. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    It could be all about location...

12. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My old band used to rehearse in a storage unit and I think the BL paid around $200 a month for it. He never asked anyone to pitch in (he should have). It was inside a building and had AC and Heat. was kinda small though. Maybe 10x8. Singers were always outside in the hallway.

Does no one have a basement, garage or spare room the band can rehearse in? No way would I be paying that much a month especially with my current finances.

14. AciDBatH666

AciDBatH666 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    It's as simple as just calling and getting a price to find out what they cost. How to handle it with the band if they price they gave you is bogus? That's a tricky one. You might have to prepare to get the hell outta there.

The only reason we're at the units we're at is because it's one of the few places that puts up with it. It's outside of the city limits, and I swear nearly a third of their units in there are occupied by bands that practice at all hours of the day.
    If we had a climate controlled space I'd expect the price to be what you're band's paying with money combined.

INTP likes this.
  15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    That's more than what we paid for a room in a building set up for bands. it had card key access to the building and to our room. It had heat, A/C, and sound baffles on the walls. I was 16x16 (IIRC) and was $300 a month. There were also vending machines in the lobby and a small luthier/accessories shop on premise. There was also a loading dock for loading in and out. This was Arlington, Texas. If you are in San Francisco or NYC, that might be reasonable; otherwise, you are getting screwed.

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Just call the place up and ask them what it would cost for a unit of that size. Done.

If you find out you're getting hosed, FIRE EVERYBODY!

17. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Storage units allow bands to practice? Last time I rented one the lease was super duper clear about what would happen if anyone one tried that.

Crater, TheBear and Howlin' Hanson like this.
  18. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I did pay about $200 a month for a 10'x15' non climate-controlled storage space with keycode gate and 24 hour access, and they were very specific about only using the space for storage or facing fines and eviction. I'd be shocked if there weren't rehearsal spaces somewhere in your town. I think that I too would ask to see the actual bill for this storage space, and if refused then would have a very hard and frank talk with the band (get your gear out first if this becomes a necessity).

19. Too many unknowns to know for sure but on the surface it sounds like you're getting shafted. Call the facility and see what the rate is, then ask the band what the rate is. If the rate is legit - well do what you want - but I'd look for cheaper digs. If you're being used, pack your gear, GET YOUR MONEY BACK FROM THESES PUNKS and move along.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If nothing else, everyone in the band should know the exact cost of the space and how that cost is divided. I'd be looking for a less expensive space.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021