Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by seanlee747, Jan 21, 2003.

1. French

25 vote(s)
  2. Germen

10 vote(s)
  3. None of the Above

0 vote(s)
  1. Where do you guys store your bow’s, in the F-Hole, Under the brige or on the fingerbord?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    In a quiver, or in a Reunion Blues bow case.
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
  4. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna :confused:

that must be something in the bag? isn´t it?

gruesze sebastian
  5. I stored my bow in the f holes in Junior high, when I didn't care that it hurt both the bass and the bow.

I stored a nice bow I bought from Stuart Sankey under the E string, and it got knocked out and snapped on the floor.
    **NEVER** store your bow on the fingerboard/under a string!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have a Kolstein bow case from lemur ( and a quiver from the same company. Wouldn't consider using anything less.
  6. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Does actually having it under the string damage the bow and/or bass, or is it just the risk of it being knocked out from under the string?
  7. My (german)bow lives in a case when it's not being used. At the gig I'll tuck the frog under the A string. The tip goes under the string too and rests against the bridge. I know that's probably not the best place for it, but so far (knock on wood) I've never had a bow pop out like that. And it's a lot safer than on music stand like I see a lot of guys do; I also had a quiver but I found it quite scary because it seemed like the bow was always flopping around in dangerous places, and it would try to slide out when I'd lay the bass down. I also had the irrational fear that the top tie would come undone and kill my precious bow.
  8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Agree with KPO, except he doesn't take it far enough.

When I'm at a performance or a rehearsal, I seldom let the bow leave my hand. I'll hold it during breaks or intermissions. If that's not feasible, I'll put it in a hardshell case and place the case someplace where it can't be stepped on or dislodged.

As with some of the rest of you, I didn't care so much when I was using cheap school bows. Now, though, I care way too much about my Lipkins and Hudson bows to take a chance on some yahoo trashing them.
  9. Don't say you weren't warned... it only takes *one time*, as I found out - the hard way.

Plus, the string does wear on the woods of the bow, as bowmaker Sue Lipkins has pointed out elsewhere.
  10. heheh... thanks for the warning. :) I've been doing it that way for over ten years now, and no problems so far... and as for the wear issue, my bow is so old and worn it is almost molded into the shape of my hand and has practically no varnish. Looking at it you'd never suspect that it's a killer stick.

11. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I am paranoid about my bow getting broken.

I keep the active bow in the bass cass, in a bow slip while moving the bass from home to the venue. I try to cary the bow at the venue. I am like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when I have to set my bow down to re-case by bass. The only time I set it down is for rest room breaks then I try to get my wife to hold the bow, she a viola player and understands bow thing.

The spare bow goes in a hard case stashed under the bass case stashed under the back stage grand piano.

The extra bows have their own nylon bag I store them in at home. The big worry with old spare bows is bow hair mites.

At home I tend to leave the bow on the music stand but I have on young kids at home.

Sometimes when I got a long way to go I put a fiberglass bow in with the good bow to act as a stiff stick to protect the good bow somewhat.

12. In response to Toman , what you should try doing , is manipulating the quiver by tying really tighly....really!...and maybe pulling one tie more one way or something to that effect....ive gotten mine to be really tight and look really nice!
  13. I think both a bow quiver, or on the fingerboard should work, if done correctly. I would suggest lifting the E string with your left thumb, and placing the bow on the board, rather than sliding it into place. Make sure the tip is resting on the bridge to prevent it from dropping. The string will hold it in place. One of my teachers from the Boston Symphony showed this to me several years ago. I've have been doing this for over 10 years with no damage to either the bow, or fingerboard. I would however not recommend placing the bow in the f holes, or as I've seen some of my students do, between the feet of the bridge. This will in my opinion, cause damage to either, or both bow and bass. This will work for either German, or French bow.
  14. Here is a photo of a not too successful bow holder that was sold some time around 1950. It is a metal device that clamped to the sides of the fingerboard and held the bow in spring metal clamps that were covered with rubber. I've only seen one in my life (which I now own) , so it must not have sold too well. The label says ""Rodier Bow Holder, K.C. MO. Pat. Pending". Just for grins, I tried to look it up at the US patent office website, but alas nothing was there.
  15. For a long time , i would put the bow under the frog , the tip resting under the edge of the tailpeice. I never had a problem , but scratches would probably be an issue with a nice bow.