Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by littlekatie, Oct 17, 2005.

1. littlekatie

Jul 14, 2004
    London, UK
    Hi everyone. I am auditioning for GSMD this year, and they say they want one study from volume one of this book : Storch Hrabe 57 studies for bass volume 1.

Has anyone played any of these to give an opinion on which ones are best? I can choose any one in the book but as studies go, I'd like a more musical rather than technical arpeggio exercise style thing. Any ideas guys??

little katie :help: :D
  2. neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I would play one that has a slow intro and an "allegro" second part. A quick glance at the book shows 11, 19, 22, 26 and 29 to be like that.
  3. bassman1489

Jun 11, 2006
    i guess i'm reviving a dead topic, but for college auditions (i will be auditioning at most of the major conservatories), it has been suggested by a very reliable source that i play an etude from volume II of the storch-hrabe books. i was just reading a few of them, and they seem pretty tricky. does anyone have a suggestion on a particular etude from volume II to play? i guess it should be something impressive enough to get me accepted, but not way over the head of a high school senior. i'm open to all suggestions, so please share everything!
  4. Have you played through the first Volume yet? If not, you are going to have a rough time with the more advanced etudes.
    I would suggest you should play something that you can play well.
  5. bassman1489

Jun 11, 2006
    i've gotten through the first book, but never performed anything or used them for auditions. i treated them as simply technical studies. now that i am preparing a more challenging one for audition purposes, i want to find the perfect one, without spending TOO much time playing through ALL of them to find it.
  6. Look at #3 (my favorite) #5 or #15. They are all fairly musical, but personally, I like the Études from the first book better, or maybe the Bille Études.
  7. And, once again, the perfect etude is the one you can play musically, with good rhythm, tone, and dynamics.
  8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    +1 on Number 3. If you think about playing it like a movement from a Bach suite, and put some dynamic variation in where it seems appropriate, it's a pretty musical etude.
  9. bassman1489

Jun 11, 2006
    yeah i was thinking about 3 or 14. i think i might go with 14, but i'll play through them both again, and i'll check out 5 and 15. thanks for the help.
  10. kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    I played number 7 for my audition at Juilliard and like it a lot.