Store misrepresented wood of Bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by illbegotten, Aug 22, 2018.

1. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    So I bought a bass earlier this year online. The store I bought it from listed it as a maple/bubinga neck and ash body, with rosewood fingerboard. What I actually got was a maple/walnut neck and mahogany body, with a panga panga fingerboard. Literally all the wood, but the maple in the neck was misrepresented. I found this out because I noticed the specs changed on the manufacturers website, so I did some looking into my serial number and found it was what was currently on the manufacturers website. I looked and the retailer is still listing what I thought I had bought. I called them up and they said they would let me return it and exchange for what I thought I had bought. My thinking is they are going to end up sending me the exact same thing I have now. So what do y'all think? Is it worth going through the trouble and hoping for the wood I thought I was getting? I shopped around for awhile, and part of the reason I chose this bass was the wood. The part I'm most disappointed in is the bubinga being replaced by walnut. Thoughts?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Are they a reputable business? If so, I don't see why they should try to cheat you. It seems the wood thing wasn't intentional.

3. Bottom 4

Bottom 4

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    How do you like the bass? How does it feel, sound, etc?

4. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    The higher note sounds funny to me, but I don't even know how to explain it. I took it back to the store after the first few days and they don't think it sounds odd. It has flatwound strings though, and I've never used them before, so I thought maybe it is just the flatwounds. I thought I would get used to it, but still sounds funny to me

saabfender likes this.
  5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Sounds like it was an honest mistake. Did you buy it because of the wood that was specified or did you buy it because you liked how it looked and played and felt?

If it was the latter then what does it matter? At least you now know what the wood actually is now.

Now if you bought it simply because it was this 'maple/bubinga neck and ash body, with rosewood fingerboard' combination and you can't have it any other way because you have a real love for that combination then go with the exchange as long as you explain to the retailer that they still might have it wrong and that you don't want the same thing you already have. Specs change without the manufacturer revealing it and that gets me riled too, but the retailer is going by what is listed in a catalog or online and is in the same boat you're in most of the time.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Obese Chess and greenduke like this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The dealer quoted the top speed of my cars at 157 mph. The factory spec says 154.
    I still LOVE car.

ColdEye, acroce, mcnach and 19 others like this.
  7. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    I didn't care on the "look", the two different configurations look about the same because they are stained/painted the same. I was into the maple/bubinga because I feel it is a stronger combination that the maple/walnut, and I live in an area with really cold winters and hot summers. The fingerboard I don't know if I have an opinion on, but what if that is what is making it sound funny to me? The body being mahogany instead of ash I don't have an opinion on either. It isn't a bass that anyone has in stock in a store for me to even play another one, so it is hard to know if I would feel a difference.

8. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Not even remotely the same. If you want to compare it to cars it would be like if the dealer said the seats were leather and they were really synthetic, or that the stereo was Bose and is really Alpine or something like that.

9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

10. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Yes they are. I don't necessarily think they are trying to cheat me, but I would think they would know what they are selling. Maybe I am wrong though.

11. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
  12. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Sorry but I don't understand the OP's logic.

You're definitely not satisfied with the bass you received.

When you ordered the bass, it was because of that particular wood combination.

The seller has offered to exchange your current bass for the bass with the wood you want.

And you are hesitant to make the exchange.

How else would you possibly get the bass you want ???

It's your call as to how much 'trouble' packing and shipping a bass is.

13. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    My worry is I don't know that I would get anything different. Also I live in an area that to ship it back I'm driving almost an hour and a half to the nearest location that handles it.

So thought maybe someone might have some experience with the different woods and could give their experience. All my bass guitars are rosewood fingerboards and most if not all are straight maple necks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I can understand that the OP is unhappy that his bass is not the one he thought he was buying, but I'd ask what does the bass feel like and sound like. If the answer to those questions is good then keep it. If not then return it. The wood means nothing to me, but he sound definitely does.

15. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I'd say if you like the bass, keep it and don't worry that its a different kind of wood. All the woods you mentioned are good, and there's an ongoing debate as to whether wood even makes much of a difference in the sound coming from the amp.

That said, if you don't like the bass you got and the seller is willing to send a replacement with the right specs, then I'd say go that route. If the replacement is still not right, then send that back too. Since its their fault, you shouldn't be on the hook for shipping charges.

16. Question for the wise ones.
    Does the wood, more than any other single factor have the greatest affect on tone?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  17. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just can't see bubinga vs walnut making a huge difference in sound in this particular case.

I really can't see that having walnut (stringers I'm assuming?) would make the bass sound funny.

What bass are we talking about here?

18. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Bubinga is expensive, and justifiably so... IME bubinga is typically brighter-sounding than most walnuts! I would send it back and get what you bargained for...

EatS1stBassist, interp and SirMjac28 like this.
  19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The wood has very little to do with the tone and I can assure you that any differences would not be noticeable to your ear.

OP, is there a reason beyond aesthetics that you care what the wood is?

20. In a hollow body, it's significant.
    In a semihollow, it's a small-medium factor.
    In a solid body (chambered), it's small.
    In a solid body, it's mouse nuts! You'll probably notice a difference if you know a bit and listen carefully for it but for the great majority of us changing strings has a much greater effect than wood selection.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021