Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Store return policies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just a quick question here. I stopped into my buddies shop last night, and had a guitar hanging on the wall, that he originally sold a week and a half ago. This is a cheap $300 Samick, for the record. He wants to return it for a full credit towards a Jackson, saying that the pickups in the Samick feedback too much.

It is apparent that this kid beat the crap out of this guitar in the week and a half he owned it. There are numerous dings all over the body, permanent picking marks on the front of it (from apparently playing like an idiot), and the lower strap button has been hit, enough to push it into the body some, and chip some paint away.....very noticable. They are trying to figure out what to do about it. Most stores give a trial period, but in my eyes, this guitar has obviously been abused. I told him I personally, would offer free labor on installing new pickups, if he purchased them, or give the guy blue book used on a trade in. No way can this be sold for new anymore.

What would you guys do?

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'd tell him to get lost, personally.

3. Ditto. Abusing the instrument should automatically negate any trial period. If it were any other type of product there would be no way they would accept a return.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Right on guys, thanks for your thoughs. Right along the lines of what I was thinking. I'll relay the message!

PS, I don't understand how people manage to beat their stuff up like that. Of all the basses I owned in the last couple years, I can only remember chipping one ONCE. My headstock apparently intruded into the drummers space, and it was abruptly corrected by a ride cymbal.

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i would laugh him right out of the store,if that did'nt work i'd tell him he would have a better chance of getting struck by thunder(yes i mean thunder,because it will never happen!)some people have alot of nerve,they feel that its no big deal to return it because they think the manufactorer will take back any thing thats returned to the retailer no matter the condition. tell him to "HIT THE BRICKS" !

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    since the guitar is obviously not in new condition, the kid should be charge a restocking fee...

P@