1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Store speaker cabs in car trunk?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GGman, Dec 24, 2016.

1. GGman

GGman

Oct 17, 2008
    I live in Maryland by Wash. DC. The winters are not too bad, but we do get some very cold days. I want to know if I can keep my two bass speaker cabs in the trunk of my car and not damage them in any way from the cold outside. I was thinking of getting some heavy padded moving blankets to protect them and also my trunk area. Would they be okay with the padded blankets when it's winter time like now? I am currently in a rental living situation (hopefully not forever) where I can't keep the two cabs in the house unless I make multiple trips up and down the stairs to get to my room. And they are heavy. :-(

2. The key factor is humidity.

No practical insulation will stop the cabs from attracting dew if taken from a frozen car to a warm bar without time for the temperature to equalise through the insulation. Not going to happen.

Sack barrow style trolleys are easy to get up and down stairs if you don't mind taking your time. Pull with the legs and a straight back. Lower likewise.

Basically Bob likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah the problems arise when you need to use the cabs. They cool slowly in the car. But if you take them straight from the freezing car into a warm rehearsal or gig, condensation will essentially make them wet. That could affect the wood they are made of, perhaps the cone over time, and could even cause corrosion on electronic parts. You have to allow them to warm slowly just like they cooled slowly. If you were to take them inside still wrapped in blankets and allow them to sit for a while before unwrapping them you would lessen all the risks mentioned earlier.

I deal with this kind of thing at work all the time. I have electronic testing equipment that stays in my work van during the summer. During the winter I have to tak some of it into my office overnight because if I don't it might not warm up enough on the way to a call. Then I either have to risk plugging in and turning on moist equipment or take the stuff inside and wait around for it to acclimate.

Short version: Storing them in the trunk isn't the bad part. Using them after taking them from a frozen car into a warm room is.

GGman likes this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's better than storing them in a damp garage.

5. Is it? It’s unlikely that a garage would be stolen! ;)

rapidfirerob and laughing house like this.
  6. My 8 10 has been in the back of my P.U. truck under a cap for 5 years now with no problems. YMMV.

rugrat likes this.
  7. GGman

GGman

Oct 17, 2008
    Thanks peeps for good info. I do not have any possibility of storing in the house. I rent a single bedroom from the owner. There is no garage. I am 66 and I can't move 50 lb cabs (two cabs) up the steps to my room. I have no here to help me and they are weaker looking than me. :)

It looks like finding help up and down the steps or taking them out and leaving sit with the moving blanket covers on them to thaw out so to speak. Any idea of how long that warm up period might take? The winters here around DC are not too bad and the season is shorter than somewhere like Minnesota. Hopefully I will get to move out of here sometime soon and not have this problem. Three more months or so of winter here.