Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stores in Ottawa, Canada

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chris J, Mar 10, 2002.

1. If anyone knows of good music stores in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada then list them here. Anywhere from Kanata to Orleans is good. I've been to Steve's on Rideau plenty of times and I recommend them to anyone. Excellent customer service. They let me stay after the store was closed to play and amp I was gonna buy. I blew my little combo amp and they.....fixed my invoice and got it under warranty. I know of Songbird, and Long and McQuade. Haven't been to either. I've been to International Music Land and was not impressed at all. Bad stock. High prices. I saw a boss digital delay pedal for $320 and at Steve's the same pedal was $150. Give or take a few bucks, I could be remembering wrong. Well let's hope the list grows. And please say if that store has anything special ie:Cirrus! Warwick stuff like that.

2. You owe it to yourself to go out to Long and Mcquade. They've got lots of Warwicks and MMs out there. The service is usually pretty good too. Songbird is worth a visit because you never know what they will have, good bargains sometimes. Check out the Lauzon music center. They're on Wellington in the west end. They had a gorgeous G&L L-2500 out there a couple weeks ago. They've also got a Cirrus or two. The guys seemed to be really cool as well.
    That's all I know of for major music stores in the Ottawa area.

3. Thanks a lot! I really wasn't expecting any responses. I'll be sure to go to Lauzon. I've been wanting to try a L2500 for soooo long. Thanks a bunch!

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Ah, another fellow Ottawan/Ottawa-er/whatever we're called...

I didn't know there was a Long & McQuade here - where is it?

I agree about In'l Musicland - prices are a joke! The same with Intercontinental. I think the guy that owns the place must have been a used-car salesman in a past life. I tend to rely on Steve's and Song Bird for gear shopping... watch out at Song Bird though because they will happily sell you junk if you appear willing to buy it.

BTW if you're interested, I saw a Hartke Kickback 1x12 for $450 the other day at Joe's Pawn Shop on Rideau St. I don't know if it's still there, but maybe...

Have you tried Metro Music (on Bank just past the Queensway) or the Ottawa Folklore Centre (Bank at Sunnyside)? I don't think they have what you're looking for, but cool to check out nonetheless.

Also, DON'T waste your time going to Used Sound on Preston, no matter what anyone says!!! The stuff they have is mostly old junk at outrageous prices, and run by a real a**hole to boot!!!

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i would love to try a warwick, maybe I can drive to Ottawa, it's not that far.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey, if you do, let me know; maybe we can have a meet up.

7. Hey guys:
    L&M Ottawa is at Bank and Altavista. The Transitway stop is Walkley I think.

8. Is this Ottawa L&McQ a new one? I had to drive to TO a few years ago to buy mine :(

9. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    yeah metro has an awesome staff! Super smart! Songbird and Used Sound (Hello hans...) can be fun, but a small shop can't really compete with steves and L&M prices. :(. Retrotown in the west end usually has some nice old stuff too.
    ottawa needs a bass store ... get all those montrealers (hello fred) down here.

Radapaw / drew

10. Yeah, the guys at Steve's are great. Really helpful. Jo(h)n and Wayne are really nice guys. Wayne's a great bass player on top of that. I pretty much rely on them for anything.

11. Wow, things in Montreal are different.

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very very different!!

13. The last time I went to Steve's here in Montreal (the last time I'll ever go there) I went there to buy a Pignose battery operated amp for busking with my DB. The salesguy spent five minutes trying to convince me that I really should buy an SWR workingman's 12. I explained to him that I needed a battery operated amp for busking. His reply " But the SWR is better " :rolleyes:

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I completely agree that everyone's helpful at our Steve's, and they're usually pretty knowledgeable.

Chris - Wayne still works there? I haven't seen him there in a long time! Which one is John :confused:

radapaw - sorry, my comments about Used Sound were a little harsh. However, I do have to say that I didn't have a very good experience there. I was just looking at what they had and they guy basically told me, in a subtle way, to leave if I wasn't going to buy anything. I just thought that was rotten customer service...

15. I am not a fan of Steve's in Ottawa. Pat is the only sales drone there that seems to pay any attention to people for more than thirty seconds.

They are pretty cool about letting you sit and play something for a while though.

L&M have a lot of nice basses. Modulii, Warwick, Ernie Ball and some totally 80's metal B.C. Rich's.

A couple of the Warwicks have dropped a few hundred in the past couple of months... so I'm checking them out periodically like a shark. :)

Also, check out Retro Town out in Westboro. You can get there from the Dominion station on the transitway. They have some really cool and rarer basses from time to time. Like Gibson EB-3's and Fender Mustangs and so on.

16. Yes Wayne still works there. Great guy. John works during the week when it isn't very busy. I think he's one of the guitar guys but knows his way around the basses. He has somewhat long hair in a pony tail. Great guy.

sofo- You're right that the sale's guys don't stay with you all the time you're there but that store is so busy sometimes it's crazy! And with a dozen guys working at once trying to help 30 people plus phone calls they have to try to keep everyone happy. Try them when it's not busy and you'll see just how helpful they really are.

That's the place I go all the time. I'd recommend them to anyone.

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Is John the guy that looks like Geezer Butler? :D

18. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    The guys at steves are jerks. Me and my cousin were trying out guitars and they practically kicked us out. They think that everyone who comes in the store knows excactly what they want and is going to buy it that day. They also probably thought that we were just a bunch of no good teenagers. There was a guy who was in there when we got there and when we left still playing guitars and noone said a godamn thing to him. The salespeople are jerks. They have somekind of unwritten rule that you can't try alot of guitars/basses out, especially expensive ones.The sales people are intimidating to the point where your'e almost afraid to ask them to try a guitar out. Oh well, they lost a couple of sales (I was thinking about a spector and my cousin about an epiphone.). Alot of guitar stores are like that towards teens though. You could just be browsing and they will tell you to buy something or leave. Long and McQuade is SO much better. The store is cleaner, and the sales people are nicer. I'm NEVER going back to steves.

19. I think John is the guy you mean.

Billy: That's a pretty prejudice statement to make. One maybe two guys told you to leave but it wasn't "all the guys at steve's". I go in there and they let me try just about any bass I want. I played a Ric (which is about $3500 here) then switched to a BTB 5 string with quilt top and didn't have to ask them for help. They didn't mind at all. I think you should give them another chance.

20. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Were you with a parent when you went? Or are you an adult? You see it was just me and my cousin when I went.And obviously, since we are young, we are a bunch of no good trouble makers. Obviously. And its not like we were pulling the 5000 dollar prs's and expensive fender basses of the wall. If they are going to be like that then they obviously don't want my buisness. We went into long and mcquade the next day and I told them about it and they thought it was quite funny, how steve's chases away customers.(I witnessed one of the sales people saying to a guy who was picking up a guitar "That's a really expnsive guitar. I dont mind you trying out some guitars just not all of them." What the hell is wrong with trying out a lot of guitars??What do they have to lose from people trying gutars?) I tried out practically every bass In the store and we were in the store for hours. They said that I could plug in any bass/guitar I wanted in any amp I wanted. Long and Mcquade is now my only music store.