Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman0213, Jul 24, 2002.

1. bassman0213

Jul 21, 2002
    Which store do you prefer to shop at for your bass gear?
  2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    There I a place near me called the Music Source, and I know all the people there so it's cool, and I sometimes just go there and talk to the employees and stuff.
  3. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room... the people are nice there
    The guy who works in the bass department.. i think his name is freddie..
    Hes super cool.. he can play!
    He dont push you into buying anything either he just likes seeing people play lol.. they just got swr stuff there woot!
  4. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I usually go to Mars, but I'll check out any music store I come across.
  5. Chuck Levin's in Wheaton. It's kinda far, but well worth it for the price and selection. The guy who works in the bass department is really nice, but some of the employees are kinda shady.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Depends on what I'm buyin'. I have a friend at GC that sells me my DR Hi Beams for $18/set. Best price I've found, by a long shot!:D
  7. Sam Ash in person, Musiciansfriend online.

If you've ever been to 48th St. in NYC, there used to be about 10 different music stores there about 20 years ago, now, Sam Ash basically is 48th st.
    Also, the SA Queens store isn't that far from my house, so that's a big plus. Most of the guys in there are cool and no one breaks my shoes.

If they don't have what I want, then I check out MF. Although I'd rather buy something in person, it is nice to have a brown truck come to your door and the driver hands you a tall thin box.

You're going to make me buy something with this thread, you realize this? :D

Mike J.
  8. I like Guitar Center. I've never had a problem there. One of the salespeople likes to give me around a 20% discount at random. So it's all good. For strings, tuners, and other small things, I go to Union Music in Worcester.
  9. Online: Musicians Friend, Ebay, and Yahoo auctions.

In Person: Gordons Music (local store) or GC. both GCs in my area are about an hours drive, so if Gordons doesn't have what I'm looking for, I'll call GC before I go there.
  10. I haven't bought anything major from a music store in a long time, but I used to mainly buy from a small local store called The Music House, because my family knows the owner really well, and he's a good guy. I now make the occasional trip to Guitar Center, but I've never bought anything from there.

I was out this afternoon on a bass hunting excursion, and just for the heck of it, made the rounds of all the other local music stores I used to frequent, but haven't been to for several years, hoping to find a Fender P lurking somewhere.

The first store I visited, that used to be THE place to buy guitars and basses back in the day, was almost completely empty (I counted six basses on the wall); when I walked in, I wasn't entirely sure it was even open.

The second store had just moved to its third different location in five years; I think this is the place where all the Jay Tursers go that aren't being sold on Ebay. The highest priced bass on the wall was $ 429.00.

The last store I visited was slightly better; mostly Ibanez and B.C. Rich, and a lot of something called "AXL", which I'd never heard of, and probably don't want to.

Pretty disappointing, considering they all used to stock Fenders, Rickenbackers (and even Alembic in the case of the first store) and better brands way back when. Suffice it to say, the only place that had Fender was Guitar Center, and they were asking more than I was willing to pay.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i tend to order strings,cables, etc. from Musicians Friend then straps & stuff-where ever carries what i want. With my Levy's strap i got it from bass north west [dad called in an order]. Mars & the local places [IRC, Guitars & More, Guitar Works] for the major gear purchases [basses, amps] and for emergency things like a busted string that i need for the performance that night. thats all