1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stories of Gear loss to insane life events?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZhuAnRen, Dec 19, 2013.

  1. I considered putting this under the new member/introduction forum, since I've been a member for less than a year, and I'm pretty unknown here. I'm from the mid-west, so cultural isolation and being unknown is par for the course. I've been reading the helpful posts on this site for years, not exactly making me a newbie, but aside from a question or two, which my fellow TB-ers are always helpful (or at the very least cool and comical), I have had no interest in posting. I figure almost everything has been said already, and beaten to death. I figured I'd give it another shot, worst case, it may be ignored. But hey, as a bassist, I am used to that.

    Thievery always sucks, especially when you loose something priceless. I'm pretty sure quite a few seasoned gigging low-enders have experienced something being stolen, but has anyone else experienced the loss ALL the gear, due to a crazy life situation? If so, did the stolen gear find its way home eventually for anyone? If so, how, and are there any interesting stories to go along with it?

    Here is my story (FYI it's long):

    In about 2000 - 2004 I was in a fairly good band, we played a bunch of shows, and had a local following. During that time, I had a rather terrible bass. I want to say it was a cheaply made bad import Spector. It was the Brownest sounding bass I ever played. The tone controls only went from Mud to Ultra-Mud. Needing something different, I acquired a genuine 62' Fender P (in beautiful sunburst/tort) that was one of the nicest basses I ever played, and that suited me for the rest of my term with that band. We broke up, band members moved, etc.

    I decided to take some time off of playing bass and focus on getting a good day job. I ended up taking 3 years off...a mistake. I did have an alright day gig, but I missed playing. I met a woman who I thought was creative and intelligent, and strove to treat her right. Well, as it turns out she was criminally insane. She was a thief and attempted to embezzle money and to top that off, she was extremely abusive, both physically and emotionally. She didn't like me playing my basses, and tried to cut music, and my friends (musician and non musician friends alike) out of my life. My friends got worried, especially after she slugged me in the face the first time. I am not a small structured man by any means, I am nearly 6'3" and have been a martial artist since I was 6. I did not defend myself when she clocked me. I'm non-violent and a respectful person, plus, she was the wrong one for resorting to violence in the first place.

    My friends got worried, but before they did anything, She took all her stuff while I was working one day, leaving me. Additionally, she stole half of my things as well. She took my '62 precision bass, my Gibson 6-stringed Les Paul G****r, both my practice amps, and my SVT Classic, and my 8x10 cab. She also stole my TV, PS3, and virtually everything else worth any money. She even stole my dish soap. This happened multiple times, she would break in, take whatever she could, and be off. I eventually figured out she kept getting in through the window. But..seriously..who steals dish soap?!...I reported this to the cops, but she worked at the local PD, and it was a small town, so I had no luck. They told me since both our names were on the lease, she had as much of a right to everything in the apartment as I did. I thought about a civil suit, but she retaliated after I called the cops by sending the cops to check the apartment for drugs, of course there weren't any, but she is vindictive like that. This was 2012, and I was without a bass, or an amp, Life was sad. :(

    I eventually ended up moving out of our once shared apartment, as far as I could get from Ms. Klepto. and moved into the basement of my friend's place. He is fairly good lead six-stringer, and being a bassist, we decided to give starting a band a go. Unfortunately, I had no bass. Now my roommate had a bass, an old 70's Gibson Ripper, but it didn't work. Someone broke a few wires leading to the jack. I repaired it, and felt pretty good about giving it new life, it is a good bass. I still didn't have an amp. After lawsuit/counter-lawsuit threats between Ms. Klepto and I, she gave me back one of my basses, and it wasn't the '62. I had just moved, had no money for lawyers, no way to replace the P-bass, or my SVT.

    I never got my SVT, my cab, or my '62 P-bass back, and the band I had started grew rapidly, we got another guitarist, a drummer and a keyboardist, who are all great musicians. I needed to buy a new rig, which without money and all, was pretty difficult. I'm still scraping parts of gear together to get back to gigging, when I can afford to, that is. Over the past few months, I've been avoiding meals to be able to afford more gear. Where I live, good jobs are hard to come by. I got a Solid State rig that is pretty good, it was fairly inexpensive, and still took me months to pay off. I bought used, and there are a few problems I need to repair with my "new" rig before all is said and done.

    I've played other P-basses, but none of them hold a candle to the '62 I had. I considered a Fender reissue, but again, due to losing everything and lack of funds, the need to buy other bass gear means I might not be in any position to get another P-bass for a very long time. I don't think I'll ever find one like the one I had. I've lost all hope at this point.. :crying:

    Anyone got similar stories of gear loss to insane life events? I really hope not, but I know life is rarely ever so boring....
  2. Yeah, that's a pretty crazy story bro, and I can relate to the loss of gear that is virtually irreplaceable.

    I was forced, due to sudden circumstances beyond my control, to move from Columbus, Ohio, to Denver Colorado. I had no money, no job, and no friends in Denver, so I had to sell most of my worldly possessions so I could eat and pay a month's rent when I got to Denver and figured out my next step.

    My casualties included vintage instruments such as a deluxe Ovation acoustic, a vintage Gibson T-Bird, and a vintage Fender Twin combo, all from the 70's.

    I'm established and have a lot of gear now (probably too much), but I still think about those, especially the T-Bird. It was just too special to replace, even if I had the luck to come across another just like it and the inclination to spend the money.
  3. Groovy_Gravy


    Apr 26, 2012
    Um kill a bitch??
  4. My condolences on your losses. If you had felt the same level of connection with your T-bird as I had with my P-Bass, it is truly heartbreaking to be without. It really is like losing a part of yourself.

    Hopefully you'll find one again. I really wish you luck.

    It was 100% luck that I stumbled upon my '62 precision to begin with. Came across it in a pawn shop in the middle of nowhere, my parentals were kind enough to get it for me as a college graduation gift. Parentals have passed away, and sad to say I no longer have the last big and important gift they gave me.

    Yeah man, the story is crazy, living it was....even crazier...
  5. P Town

    P Town

    Dec 7, 2011
    I bought a 1961 P bass in about 1970. It was in almost new condition. I took extremely good care of it, and kept it in the condition it was in when I bought it. When I started a family, I decided it was time to concentrate on making a living, and staying home at night. I was not playing out, or even in a band anymore, and I foolishly loaned the bass and an early Fender Bassman head, and cab to a friend. They were practicing in a barn at a farm. One day, I was nearby, and thought that I should check in on the place, and see if they were there, and maybe catch them practicing. As I neared the property, I was shocked to find that the barn had burned to the ground the previous day. My bass, and amp were destroyed. The best I ever got from the guy was "sorry".

    I went without any gear for over thirty years. In the last few years, I decided to get back into playing as something to occupy my time in my eventual retirement. I replaced the '61 with a new American Deluxe P, and an American Deluxe J, (both in natural finish, with maple necks), and some new, and old amps, (including a '63 B-15).
    The new basses have less monetary value that the '61 P would have today, but they are actually much better instruments than the old one.

    I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to buy this new equipment, and my talent, and ability are not deserving of such fine gear. It makes the loss of my original equipment less painful.

    I learned my lesson, and would never loan any of the good stuff out. (I have let someone borrow a MIM J, and Peavey combo, but the guy is a retired responsible homeowner, not like the person I loaned my first rig to so many years ago).
  6. :eek: Wow...Talk about uncool....literally. I sure hope the barn fire was unintentional on their part...
  7. P Town

    P Town

    Dec 7, 2011
    Most likely the result of negligent handling of smoking materials.
  8. Ah, an all-together too common cause of fires. Silly kids and their negligence with smoking materials. :scowl:

    My condolences for your casualties. It is good to hear you found a suitable replacement. I thought about getting a MIA P-bass as a replacement, but my '62 had a certain character about it, and it was funkier than James Brown's dancing skills. :D

    When/if I ever get the money, that might be the way I go.
  9. peabody

    peabody Supporting Member

    Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    In the late 70's I had a Lab Series L4 bass head....a great sounding head BTW.

    On the way home from a gig, we noticed this funny dragging sound. I pulled over, and found the power cord of the L4 wrapped around the axle of the equipment trailer. Apparently I had dragged this poor amp for God knows how many miles (kind of like the dog in National Lampoons's Vacation). Of course the head was completely trashed and for some reason the rest of the band thought this was hilarious. I just stood there in shock....even though I can laugh about it now.

    I'll never know what actually happened, here's what I think happened...
    During the load out, I believe someone put the amp on the tongue of the equipment trailer and it never got loaded. During the drive, it finally fell off the tongue and somehow the cord wrapped around the axle...and the dragging began.

    I still play with the same bunch of guys and they still laugh about that night (me less so).
  10. pfox14


    Dec 22, 2013
    I had an early 70s P-bass stolen when I went to band camp one summer (yes, I said band camp). Weird thing was it was recovered several months just laying in an open field on the property of the camp. Someone must have broken into the instrument storage room, then took the bass and threw into the field. I got it back and it was so damaged from exposure to the elements that it couldn't be repaired. Luckily, the insurance company paid for a replacement bass. Who would do such a thing? Makes me scratch my head.