Storing a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bflat1, May 18, 2007.

1. Bflat1

Bflat1

Jan 3, 2007
    Dallas
    I think the time has come to take one of the bass' out of the living room, sigh... Call it a compromise with the wife. Is there a safe way to store a bass in a place that will see changes in humidity and temp? (the attic)

Take the strings off and put it in a hard case? It's a pretty nice carved 5 string bass so I'd like to be careful.

2. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    Do you have a trusted friend who will play it and hold on to it for you? Definitely safer and better for the bass than sticking it in the attic!

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Attic?

I'm south of you. Have you ever been in your attic in the summertime in Texas?
    NO WAY...the bass would be destroyed.

Get a hardcase, put the bass in it, and put it in the back of a "normal climate" closet.
    Even in a case under a bed works.
    If it's active, pull the battery out.

A good rule of thumb: if you wouldn't be comfortable there, your bass won't be either.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My attic would kill a bass in one day.

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd like to see the space under that bed.:D

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    No kidding! Johnny, is your bed on stilts?!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021