1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storing a cab in the car or garage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sears, May 12, 2018.

1. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Is taking care of a bass cabinet somewhat like taking care of a resonating musical instrument? It's made of wood and glue just like an acoustic guitar, and I wouldn't keep the guitar in the garage or leave it in the car, right?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends upon the garage. Dampness and mice are not the friends of an amp. But reasonable temperature changes are not a big issue.

retslock, pbassjbass and Lobster11 like this.
  3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    Err, no.
    An acoustic has tolerances measured in 64ths of an inch. Cabinets, not so much.

RickyWoo and packhowitzer like this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I know lots of cats that leave their cab in the garage. Just make sure it warms up to room temperature before blasting it and you should be fine.

gelinas666 and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I never left my golf clubs in my car, nor my garage...

... not going to happen with any music equipment, neither...

... maybe, a pick... or, a strap.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think that falls into the category of "you could, but why take the chance."

dbsfgyd1, JaseyT and shawshank72 like this.
  7. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    When it is in a 40 foot trailer and it works night after night I don't think you need to take it inside your house.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Absolutely! I failed to do this and cracked a surround on one driver in each of the 2x10s that I use.

9. My gigging 8 10 e has been stored in a trailer or the back of my P.U. truck under a cap for about 8 years now. My Peavey Mark 6 amp (back up) has been right beside it. If they weighed 15 lbs, I would probably take them inside..... but they don't. No problems so far. If there ever is , you can bet I will be griping about here.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Forty years in the p.a. business. Cabs sit in trucks over night at 30 below. They get snowed on on loading docks, one flying rig stayed up for 48 hours at -15.
    Frozen cables are a bigger threat and expense than cabinets- they are pretty tough.
    If youre worried, let them aclimate inside for a bit, but that's more for your peace of mind than the cabinet's.

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Mine is in the trunk for the last 10 years.
    Just let it wwarm up to room temp. before
    playing it.

design likes this.
  12. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    What about hot storage. Everyone keeps talking about cold.

JGbassman likes this.
  13. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ good point. I've had rat fur glue melt in the heat, but nothing serious.

mbelue and ghostinthemach like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = my opinion Supporting Member

i've been 'storing' rigs/band gear/PA equipment in garages, sheds, storage units, basements, yada yada since i was a kid (early 60's) and have never had an issue: except when water/dampness was manifest.

i think 'storage' issues are mostly opportunities to use some common sense.

15. Remember that we have speakers, a radio and other electronics in our cars as standard equipment and they go through 100+ heat and well below freezing for years with very little to no issues. Just watch in a garage for moisture/water damage and rodents.
    Plug your ports.

retslock, Mike.C., Peteyboy and 4 others like this.
  16. Living in Jacksonville, FL, my biggest concern, as gross as it sounds, are durned bugs and rodents getting at gear left outside of my relatively clean living spaces. I've seen speaker surrounds consumed in a matter of days when left in a trailer.

Randy Ward and buldog5151bass like this.
  17. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Wow, my choice has nothing to do with climate, but in this day and age leaving anything in a car is kinda foolish. I play 4 nights a week and still put my gear in my basement every night. No way I'm taking a chance on getting to the gig with an empty trunk.

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Unless your garage is excessively damp/wet. I wouldn't worry about it.

retslock likes this.
  19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hell no. Just make sure it doesnt get wet

retslock likes this.
  20. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I started this thread because I will have a house with a garage soon. I would love to keep it in there. Heat and humidity worry me more than cold. I would be stoked to keep it there.

design and meatwad like this.