1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storing a cab in the car or garage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sears, May 12, 2018.

1. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    As far as comparing cabinets to acoustic instruments, the cabs aren’t subject to the forces of the strings pulling on them. That would make them less fragile.

2. I live in MN... never worry about cabinets or floor boards.. sometimes basses (like my acoustic upright)... never a quality electric.

If you gig 50x per year or more.. there is a time that you look at the gear as a consumable and treat it respectfully like the time to load in and out have a value.

3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I have pretty/expensive cabinets, and I have utility cabinets that i use most of the time. i leave (and have left for years) various cabs in my trunk (back of SUV) . I keep a cover over them for sun damage because I live in a hot climate. vibration, heat, moisture, and such have NEVER given me an issue.
    leaving thinkg uncovered and other things banging into them have (metal cart dinging tolex), but life in the car hasn't ruined anything for me.

4. I would suggest no direct ground contact... water transfer bites.

Plutonium244 and slugger like this.
  5. Our drummer's van was stolen with his full vintage Pearl Masters Series kit, cymbals, hardware and lights inside about a year ago. Our gig ended about 1am, and he left the bar about 2. He and his wife stopped for some late-night breakfast and got home by 4am. Parked the van in his driveway right next to his house, so close you couldn't open the passenger side door. When he got up about three hours later to let his dog out, his van was gone. The cops found his van two days later, empty of its contents of course.

6. PaulKaplan

PaulKaplan Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    If your cab is ported, and you have even one mouse in your garage... I lost a car subwoofer in storage in my garage to rodent terrorism.

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    OP is in Maryland, much of which is a large sand bar on the Chesapeake. :roflmao:

A shipping pallet or two would ease my mind about damp floors. I would not worry about humidity and temp. If you have a cat, mice are usually no issue.

Most of the folks I know with LOTS of gear have a storage unit. Dry but no climate control.

8. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Band gear has been living in garages since time immemorial! Never heard of a "garage band"? :)

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I always bring my gear back in my house and set it up where it goes. That's even at 4 or 5am after a gig. I doubt it would hurt anything but I just don't want to get lazy.

mbelue likes this.
  10. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Congrats!

sears likes this.
  11. Mine stays in the SUV, which stays in the garage. Garage never gets hotter than 90F, never gets below 35F. I've played gigs at or near both temps.

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Again, that depends on the garage. Some are as nice, climate-wise, as a finished room. Others...

13. My drummer has a twin axle trailer that we keep the PA and the drums in and I leave my MIM jazz 5 in it all the time and I mean I haven't taken it out except to play occasionally in 5 months. Drummer reasoned that his drums survive the heat. I am in Florida.
    Except for one overnight or so with back to back gigs I don't leave my EBMM SR5 in the trailer, though. So the jazz serves as a backup or I can drive straight to a gig from work or second home and not have to bring a bass.

pudgychef likes this.
  14. I keep all my Ampeg gear covered in the garage. 4 cabs in 2 pairs set grill-to-grill so nothing can poke in there, the amp heads on top, then a packing blanket over all that. I live on SoCal so we don't have severe temperature swings.

mikewalker likes this.
  15. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    True, but the cones are usually made from paper and that absorbs water and can attract mildew. Also the driver voice coil can pick up some condensation too.

16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    With my climate here, most of the year I could keep my gear outside. Amps and cabs stay in the garage as it is simply faster load out/in.

17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    We worry about temperature with instruments. That's not the issue with speakers. There, moisture is the concern. Paper does not get along well with water. And most of our speakers rely on paper cones.

18. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    All I have is anecdotal evidence. I'm no expert and I don't pretend to be, but I've had a pair of Genz-Benz GB210T-XB cabs for almost 20 years. They've been left in my car for weeks on end in the freezing cold of Ohio winters and weeks on end in the blazing heat of Ohio summers. I've pulled them out of my car in these conditions and immediately played through them at high wattage for rehearsals and shows. I've used them in rowdy campgrounds where they've been rained on and had mud thrown on them. I've used them for hundreds of hours in all these conditions, and many of those hours it was with 5-string basses tuned down to A. And they're every bit the cabs today they were 2 decades ago when I got them.

Of course, I'm not saying it's a "good" idea to leave the cabs wherever you're thinking of leaving them, but I also can't provide any evidence that it will do them any harm. I wouldn't recommend leaving them at the bottom of a pond or anything, but if they're out of the elements, I think they'll serve you just fine for as long as you care to use them. Because they're built of plywood, they're very resistant to expansion and contraction, and I've never had even a hiccup with my cabs. Maybe GB cabs are just built like tanks.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    They say that the ideal condition for storing fine cigars (the hell with non-fine cigars, store 'em in the junk drawer) is 70 degrees F and 70% humidity. So, obviously, you need to get a humidor for your gear.:woot:

sears and mikewalker like this.
  20. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    This is kinda horrifying.

pomegranesis likes this.