1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storing a cab in the car or garage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sears, May 12, 2018.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I treat my cabs very differently than I do my guitars.
    My Aguilar and Acme ratfur cabs have been living in my truck camper shell outdoors for many years with no ill effects that I can discern. (Pretty moderate climate here - some triple digits in the summers but I think the white camper shell keeps things from getting too out of hand. It doesn't usually get very far below freezing in the winter.)
    Ironically the only woofer I've ever had to replace due to "rot" thus far was on my G/K practice amp that lives inside with all the instruments.

2. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes"
    I took a Mesa Boogie cab out of my garage that I had not used in 10 years last week. Sounded great. On the other hand, I live in California and not Louisiana or Minnesota.

3. And what about the tolerance to the gaps around the voice coil? Wouldn't that part of the driver be the most susceptible to damage if the spider dimensions changed? What's the typical material for the spider?

4. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I left my rig in the band truck for 8-9 years, because we were working that much. No ill affects, although this is sunny California. And the truck, when not in use, was in a barn on a 200 acre farm, so safety was not a concern. Had a small(er) combo for home and rehearsal.

5. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    this reminds me of a time when we stored a pair of 16 cell Altec horns for several years in a pole barn. Well, we decided to use them for a gig. When we powered them up, there was a mass exodus of spiders. It was hysterical, like out of the movie Aracnoids...

JRA, Bruiser Stone and pudgychef like this.
  6. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    When I worked at the Ogden Theatre as stage manager/mon, the house boss would put meat from the deli trays in open back cabinets if someone was a dick. Heat had effect on these cabinets.

7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    My gigging bass cab is my night stand in the bedroom. So I have to bring it inside after a gig to have a place for my lamp and weather radio.

Jeff Elkins and G-Z like this.
  8. Just store cabs on skids and tarp them in the garage.. Been doing this for years and I'm up in Canada. Just warm the cab up before sending a load through it.. :thumbsup: 20170424_153851.

9. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Moisture has to avoided at all costs. It is hard on the drivers and the enclosure and will shorten their life considerably. Amp and cabinet covers aren’t as widely used as they used to be and they’re a big help in protecting the system. I store some of my gear in a dry unheated garage year round and I’ve never had a single problem.

10. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Basses never stay in the garage, except when in good weather (not too hot, not too cold) I might leave one in the car, in the garage overnight until morning, if it's not 10 below outside (so that the garage will still be 40+ degrees even in winter. )

I don't worry about cabs inside the car inside the garage in most weather. I don't like to leave cabs out of the car, in the garage, though it would be very convenient to do so; I am worried about mice... but mice can get into the basement too... just less likely to be voracious outdoor mice coming in for warmth and a meal if its in the basement. I had a mouse bringing seed into my car's air filter and storing it there... so that IS something to worry about. It is a pain to haul bass cabs up from the basement every gig... but I don't want mice to eat them, so they stay in the car or go to the basement.

11. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    I've kept amps and cabs in a non climate controlled storage unit in Florida for a year with no negative effects. I wouldn't leave an instrument in there though.

12. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It'd be hard to do a tarp job tight enough to keep a mouse out, they can get into the smallest places... and if one could, it would be very time consuming both to put on and take off. I have managed to stake out a small main-level space for the cab that is coming and going the most. Others come from the basement when I feel like dragging them up a flight of stairs.

13. climber

climber

Oct 21, 2006
    I've been living in northern New Hampshire for 20+ years. I leave my cabinets and amps in my dry unheated garage year round. I have never had an issue, even when it's been 20 below.

14. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Ummmm, why are they slinging mud at you and your gear?

:laugh::D:roflmao::D:laugh:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    I used to leave my M helmet hanging off the handlebar and had the start of a mouse nest.

16. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Install a mini split heat pump and keep the place clean and as dust free as possible.

sears likes this.
  17. A cab is no different to PA speakers and I've stored all my PA gear in the garage for decades. It has more consistent temperatures than most places. I also store instruments (in hard cases) in the garage as well. My 20 year old 12 string acoustic guitar has spent more time in the garage than the house as has my Jag Short Scale.

18. Happy Jack

Happy Jack Supporting Member

The last three places I've lived, I've kitted out the garage as a rehearsal space / storage area for my gear. I have far too much gear, and most of it was pretty expensive, so I wouldn't be doing this still if it didn't work.

Lay down a sturdy waterproof membrane on the floor. Use timber spreaders to build a simple framework on top of the membrane, fill the spaces in the frame with any form of insulation that won't encourage rodents to nest there, cover the filled framework with 12mm plywood, then cover that with Astroturf.

Use timber battens to build a simple framework inside the garage walls, fill the spaces in the frame with solid insulation (do you have Celotex in the States?), cover the filled framework with 9mm plywood, then cover that with carpet (just staple it in place).

Repeat for the roof to complete your 'shoebox', but using 6mm plywood. Don't skimp on the insulation. Stapling carpet to the ceiling is a mug's game. Don't ask me how I know.

Now that you're finished, move in some metal frame storage/shelving units to keep your kit neat & tidy, and off the floor.

19. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Horrid! Mine was ants. Big black ones. And not at soundcheck—crawling across the roof of my car on the way to the gig.

I stored them in the garage.

Block your ports!

20. Elfsocks

Elfsocks

May 13, 2018
    London
    I remember being in a working band years ago and we were doing around 200 gigs a year. When we first started, we unloaded every single piece of kit out of the van and down the alleyway to our house every single night (they never showed that on The Monkees!). That became very old very quickly and we started just taking the guitars in (we lived in a really dodgy area). We had it broken into once, but the skinny punks obviously couldn't lift the big stuff cos nothing was taken. The moral of the story? We got really lazy!