1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storing a cab in the car or garage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sears, May 12, 2018.

1. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Other than wear and tear due to sitting around in high traffic areas, don't worry about it.
    Consider covering it on all sides, somehow

2. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    My thought of extreme temps, and that kind of scenario, is “it doesn’t help the equipment”. I have had to leave my bass in a cold car for several hours too, not crazy about leaving anything out in the elements,.

3. Happy Jack

Happy Jack Supporting Member

Well clearly some situations are worse than others ...

IceStorm.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  4. Elfsocks

Elfsocks

May 13, 2018
    London
    Haha!
    I've been there loads of times and never seen that! I'd love to see it for real.

5. Actually, that's a bit on the high side of the spectrum. I try to keep mine at around 65% RH. The temp is a bigger concern with regards to tobacco beetles and mold issues. Freezing cigars before you put them in your humidor(s) will kill the beetles, eggs, and larvae. The lower humidity, and the use of distilled water instead of tap water with whatever humidification method you use helps avoid mold problems.

And before some start screaming about this being "off-topic", it really isn't. Boveda, one of the biggest names in cigar humidification, also makes products to regulate humidity in musical instrument cases and whatnot. Our old sax player kept a couple Boveda packs in his cases to keep the pads and reeds in good shape, and I know several guys who use them for their acoustic guitars and basses.

6. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    It will get hotter in the car than the garage. Your speakers have paper cones and copper voice coils. As others have stated, moisture will effect the cones and the coils can get tarnished. Eventually shortning its life span.
    Regarding the wood of the cab, depends on how it was made, what woods, and thickness. I always had a gig rig and one inside the house. The gig rig was always stored with the bands equipment, on tour bus trailer, or in a Ryder truck. Never had any problems at all with my cabs. I should mention they were Peavey, and or SWR.

I wouldn't sweat it.

7. grocker

grocker Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    I live I Florida, I keep all my gear inside the house and use a dehumidifier in my music room,I dehumidify my stuff after outside gigs as well, wipe in down clean as well,my gk 212 which I use for a bunch of the swampier gigs(aggies sl's stay home sometimes,can't use the db cabs due to having a hernia,my 210's were never out of house, for sale wonderful cabs) gets dehumidified after gigs...been using the GK on and off for 12yrs....ive seen bars on the water,salt water,have PA stuff outside for the band's ,speakers ect...covered areas but everything metal gets kinda rusted up but still works amazingly enough,even after many years..

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  8. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    New Years Eve, about 20 years ago, Nathan Philips Sq. we set up the P.A. at five a.m. it was about -30c. We had left the trucks packed overnight to reduce condensation. We laid all the speaker cables, the snake and as much A.C. as possible before they froze. About eleven a.m. and it had not warmed up much, the electricians were finished, we fired up the p.a. and the stage heaters. It was about -20C. in the FOH tent, and two turbo heaters were not helping much, you couldn't touch a metal surface. Stage heaters look like jet engines, and blast a tube of hot air. We could work on the stage in parkas, and mic cables weren't freezing, but we knew the bands would try to play in their stage wear, and it was going to be cold. The temp peaked that day at about -10c. and the p.a. ran canned music all day. By showtime, the temp had dropped to about -20. Bottled water lined up by the backline was all frozen.
    We struck the stage at 5 a.m. the next day. All the cables were frozen, and first we threw them in piles in front of the blast of a stage heater. The losses- Some cracked heat shrink on snakes, and a few mic cables that were too frozen to wrap shattered. Cabs, and amps, and FOH electronics came thru with flying colors.
    Thank Dog for old fashioned 1000Watt par lamps, of we had had about 60 running all day, even to an empty stage.

Jefenator and Elfsocks like this.
  9. Elfsocks

Elfsocks

May 13, 2018
    London
    Whenever we (or anyone we knew) bought anything with those little silica gel packets in, we'd stash them along the ridge at the top of the cargo area to try and reduce condensation. Not sure how much difference it made, but we felt better about our laziness from leaving it overnight!

10. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I keep thinking I should just leave my EBS 112s in my car... I don’t use them in the house and I rarely put anything else in the back of the Jeep. Face down they wouldn’t be too obvious to inquisitive eyes. I do worry about damp and speaker cones though...

11. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Congrats on a house with a garage!

Are you buying an already built house or buying new construction? For new construction make sure that the contractor puts down a proper moisture barrier (a piece of thick plastic) and insulation (large foam sheets) under the concrete slab (ask to see this before the slab is poured - along with proper rebar reinforcement - contractors are notorious for cutting corners when they think they can get away with it). This eliminates moisture coming up through the slab. Next have them insulate and finish the garage (not a huge amount of money but makes a huge difference on garage temperature all year - be sure to get an insulated garage door). Make sure the seal on the garage door is pretty tight (decreases the rodent problem).

For an existing house, you can still insulate the garage and make sure all openings (door, vents, etc.) are relatively rodent proof. An easy way to check for moisture issues with the slab is to get an inexpensive test kit (you can most likely arrange for this at the same time as a radon test). Be sure to get a good home inspection.

I leave my gig equipment in my garage which is insulated. Never instruments.

Test kit
    Calcium Chloride Test Kits – (3 Pack) | Vaprecision

sears likes this.
  12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    hahaha I wondered how long it would take for someone to say that. It's a huge annual 4-day country music festival where people come from all over the world to camp and party for 2 weeks leading up to the event. It gets rowdy no matter who is playing. LoL I've played on the stages in one or more of the campgrounds almost every year since 2003. When it rains, there are mud slides, mud fights, mud wrestling, you name it. One year there was a "mud man contest". Imagine a snowman building contest, but with all mud. I've been there for a number of mud slinging incidents. One of my amps was originally bought used super cheap on eBay for the sole purpose of taking it to those shows. While I've always been protective of my amps, the cabs have been casualties a number of times. I also had to clean mud off my Warwicks a few times. No big deal.

BadExample likes this.
  13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Sounds like a hoot!

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  14. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Yikes... I’m not so sure ants would live long or nest in essentually a metal tube, but to your point, what was holding the horns were two really heavy wood boxes, the kind ants would love to make a home.

15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    It is, as long as you don't get too uptight about your gear! haha

BadExample likes this.
  16. Yes congrats on the new digs. I have never "stored" any musical equipment anywhere but in the house and never will. I have l left equipment in the garage, van, truck, trailer over night but not as a habitual storage area. Yeah people do it and touring folks brag about it but what choice do they have. I say that if you can store it inside then do it. If you can't then don't.

sears likes this.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I care about my equipment too much to store it in a vehicle. In my neighborhood, anything left in a car is stolen in a heartbeat. There are people that do nothing but this for a living.

18. Basstigator

Basstigator

Sep 23, 2017
    Our stuff lived in the back of a truck except when in use. During the long pause times, stored in an unheated garage. If properly covered or in a rack, I never had a problem. Had to recone 2 monitor speakers (not covered ) but that's all. And, they were 30 years old and rode hard....

19. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I don't worry about speaker cabs here. My old Kustom 2x12" has been in the back of my van for almost 2 years with just a cover on it. We have temperature swings, but not humidity.

20. bassmantam

bassmantam

Apr 1, 2014
    I keep my large bass rigs and my 3k PA in the garage (inc the mixer, multicore, etc) and have done so for years with no issues. My garage is dry and a fairly stable temperature throughout the year as the back wall is a part of the house. I would say go for it, but I think you need to consider your climate. I suspect a high humidity would affect the cabs, speakers and electronics. I live in Scotland so its rain we worry about :)