Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Storing a DB for Road Trips...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Funkize you, May 28, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey all, I am Heavily searching up on all the DB questions I could find, but... (BTW I own a Chevy S-10 Pickup truck, Short bed, and no extended cab)

If I found a Nice DB I REALLY liked and purchased it, could I just put it in the trunk and wish it Luck? Would it survive at all?

How do you transport your DB's to lessons? Do you just through it in the Mini-van or something? Because I need some safe way to trasfer a DB if I purchase one...

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Mini Van! :eyebrow:

Mini Van! ..........:scowl:

Mini Van! :spit: NO!

Get a real van.:D :smug:

If you intend on the truck thingy, I'd say put a pad down and another pad under the shoulders raising the neck off the bed, tie her down. It still sounds kinda scary to me.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I know it does! But I have no other means of trasporting a DB to a Lesson... Hell, my moms Grand Am cant even handle one!

4. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I've got a Ford Ranger; basically the same size as the S-10.

My advice: get a camper so the weather isn't a concern. I'd highly recommend a padded gig bag at the least if a trunk is too expensive. Find a way to fit it in the bed so it's on its side (prop it, of course; I found a way to angle it between my wheel wells so it doesn't fall over unless I turn corners like a race car driver); if you lay these guys on their backs, the scroll will be forced to support most of the weight as it is farther back than the back of the bass. That's just askin' for snappage of some kind.

Above all, remember how much it cost you, and use that as motivation to drive like an old lady and not try to conquer the rice-burner in the adjacent lane.

Hope the info's useful. Good luck.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have a Nissan Frontier out of necessity; nobody in East Maui doesn't have a truck! I've made it at least a little bit more bass-friendly by installing a tonneau cover (Extang Full Tilt, highly recommended!). It lifts up as a unit like a hard bed cover, rolls up, or removes completely. Totally watertight. About 400 bucks.

6. I drive a '96 Chevy blazer, 4 door. I lay the back seats down and lay the bass with the neck passing through the fron seats, I use a folded bed sheet to prop the neck up a bit. Plus I drive like an old lady when transporting the bass. I know this doesn't help you much, but if buying another car is an option it's a better choice than a mini van. Plus I'm able to transport a whole trio equipment and all with me.

7. What's wrong with a minivan? I have a 1989 Mazda 626 and a 1998 Dodge Caravan and I prefer using the mv even though I have to remove the rear seats to transport it on it's back (neck elevated of course).

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Nothing is wrong with mini :eyebrow: van, but if you play in a band, or have large rig, or have to travel, or all of the above a nice black Dodge Ram van comes in very handy.

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I got the Pick up so I could transport my BG gear around... I guess I could probably borrow my uncle's old Ford Bronco when I need to transport basses... He wouldnt care if I just put a Little towards gas...

But I might Possibly be able to get some random "Hard Foam" parts for the back of my truck... that way I could just "Set" the bass down, and Wedge in a Firm, yet Foamy "Place-Holders" I guess I could call them...

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Maybe ill have a Carpenter make me a Custom "Hardshell Case" (I guess it'd look like a Crate :D )

11. kderick

kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    my truck :bawl: : my van :crying: my mini wan :crying: I have an audi A4:eek: , have fun transporting a db with that sardine can!

Just kidding of course :smug:

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    A4's are sweet!

I've wanted one forever, but if I had one, it wouldnt be stock long...

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for the info!!!

I guess its not as scarry as it sounds, if taken care of PROPERLY.

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hey Maestro...how about a Porsche Cayenne parked next to that 911? problem solved....

15. You guys are making a big deal out of nothing....any hatch-back that the back seat will flatten down will work fine. I have a Hyundai Elantra that'll take two basses side by side.

16. even a 4dr trunk w/ folding rear seats works, except I have to load it thru the rf door w/ window open!

17. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

Funkize you

I have a 96 S-10 with a topper. I recently had to take both of my DBs to a luthier. I put the Kay sideways and steadied it with Bungies at the neck and my good bass flat on it's back with a very large couch pillow under the shoulders. Plus a moving blanket under the both of 'em. I didn't like doing it and I drove slow, but the luthier is so far away and gas is SO HIGH. Therefore You will have no problem getting a single bass in your truck. I live in Florida so I recommend getting a sliding window on the back window of the trucks cab and one on the topper to send some AC back there if you are going to be with this vehicle for a while .

Here is and article by David Gage that explains the padding under the shoulders technigue.

http://www.davidgage.com/z_david_handling.htm

My question for any DB truckers is; which way do you face the neck? Toward the tail gate or the Cab? I've heard arguments for both.

18. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I usually face the neck toward the tailgate. If you're not securing it with bungees and face it forward, it'll roll over onto the bridge if you have to slam on the brakes. That'll give you a good chance to wig out.

Lesson? If you're not propping it up in the bed of a truck (with your amp, etc.), secure it well enough so you don't have to worry about which way it faces.

(If that's too much of a pain, see the david gage link previous to this post).