1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storing a Fender neck for later use

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ned Starks Head, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Hey,
    I just removed the neck of my MIM Fender jazz, as I'm going to replace it with a Warmoth neck. Unbolted, with no string tension, it definitely has some backbow to it. Should I loosen the truss rod to straighten it out, or will it be allright to leave it as is? If I need to loosen it, should I do it a little at a time (as I would if it were on the bass) or all at once (doesn't sound like a good idea). I don't want to ruin it by storing it improperly.

Thanks!

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    My opinion:

Fully loosen the truss rod to relieve tension during storage.

I wouldn't be concerned about loosening the rod all at once. Incremental adjustments over 24-hour periods are recommended for setting the relief, since small adjustments will have a noticeable effect on the relief but the wood may take a period of time to react. Wood is flexibile and resilient, and the pressure of the truss rod can be relieved instantly without harming the neck.

Store the neck in an area of the home that is relatively constant in temperature and humidity.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Everything that Bass said.:)

Something else that would be a little insurance. It would be worthwhile to seal all raw wood on it, screw holes included. Inside the truss rod nut pocket and the raw wood in the tuner peg holes too. Humidity will find any opening into dry wood

The more valuable the neck, the more particular I would be.

Sounds like a lot of work but with a Qtip and some real thin clear sealer, it goes pretty quick. If it's not stored properly, it could be firewood before you know it.

4. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Ok, I've loosened it a good bit and watched it go from backbow to straight to forward bow. It appears the last 10 or so turns have had no further effect (not bowing forward anymore). I'm assuming that this means it's loosened "all the way"? Wondering if I should continue. ....or maybe stopped at straight?

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I believe it would be safer to retighten the truss rod back to straight and leave it there. Probably a bad idea to store it in a warped position.

If the TR nut is easy to get off, a drop of oil on the threads wouldn't hurt.