1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Storing Bass in the Basement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmx6, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mmx6

mmx6

Dec 22, 2012
    I am deciding to maybe store my bass in a hardcase with plush interior in the basement..

The humidity is around 35-45%, and temperature is around 18-20 degC

I have 3 drum kits (Yamaha Oak Custom, MCAN, and Tour Custom) in my basement for a few years and there isn't any problems..

I was wondering if it is safe to store in my basement?

Thanks

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would never do it.

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    What I've read so far is that the ideal humidity for an instrument is about 50 to 60%. I have a dehumidifier in my closet where I keep my basses because my house - and country for that matter - is really humid year long (average 70s to 80s). I get by with this without any issue aside from occasional rust as the dehumidifier keeps it usually near or under 60%. I think problems arise from rapid changes in environment like taking out of a case that was in a really cold room in a hot outdoor gig more so than constant really lower percentages. Temperature is usually around 20 to 25c as I have an AC in the room and it works for me.

4. mmx6

mmx6

Dec 22, 2012
    I think 50-60% might be excessive

From what I read, and ideal home humidity level is around 35%-45%

5. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Take a step back. The harmful aspect of the elements is more about changes than whatever the ambient condition. If it's a stable ambient condition, within reason, you've got nothing to worry about. If humidity and temps vary wildly, that's where you'll run into trouble

6. mmx6

mmx6

Dec 22, 2012
    Thank, my basement temp is quite stable 18-20 degC and humidity around 35-45%

Thanks again

7. This is perfectly fine.

8. +1 Assuming you have a basement that is dry (even then, put your stuff up a few inches on something... you never know what happens if you get hit with the 'rain storm of the century' or something.

I have kept all my stuff in my various finished basements for decades. I have a high quality humidity gauge just to make sure the humidity is within that 40% to 50% or so optimal range. I have a dehumidifier (which rarely runs) always active and a humidifier on my furnace for the Winter.

Water is your primary danger in doing this.

9. mmx6

mmx6

Dec 22, 2012
    Great to know

Btw my basement is unfinished

I am comfortable now to store my Fender Classic 60s Jazz Bass in my basement

Thanks

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I don't know what my basement temp or what the humity is nor do I care. Its clean dry and all of my basses, guitars and amps are down there in cases and without and all are A-OK

11. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    i think it's a great idea! i mean, it is called the bass-ment after all...

12. /thread

13. mmx6

mmx6

Dec 22, 2012
    I think in basement is fine

I contacted my instructor via email and he told me that my bass is poly and more resistance to humidity

Also he says as long as my basement Relative Humidity and Temperature is constant, it should be no problem.

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That sounds just about ideal. Keep them up away from flooding or whatever, but as far as temp and humidity, it's perfect.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021