1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storing My Oak Rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Who da Ville, Oct 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. A brief history: I started with Pops, & hated it. It got way too stale way too quick for me.

Moved to Kolstein medium, & liked it just fine. I really like the rubber storage tub.

I was feeling rich and bought a cake of Oak Soft Plus late last spring, and I love it. It seems that my (admittedly poor) chops improved immediately (ie. less goose-fart-like). But I really don't understand how I'm supposed to keep the rosin fresh.

The rosin came poured into a paper box. My best idea so far has been to cut a 'door' on the end of the box, and re-enforce the 'hinge' with scotch tape (see photo). This is clunky at best. It seems I'm usually balancing my bass under my arm while fumbling with the rosin, which is stuck to the box. All too often the whole thing goes flying when the rosin becomes un-stuck, and chips when it hits the floor. The rosin patina on the floor of my practice room is probably topic for another thread.

I miss the semi-air-tight seal provided by the Kolstein tub. Why can't everyone pour their rosin into a rubber tub; especially at thirty-something dollars a tub?

Have any of you come up with a better way to store your Oak rosin?

DSC_0077.JPG

2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    You can store it in a sandwich bag (ziplock-style), which will retain the moisture. Or melt it down and store it in the silicone Kolstein tub.

3. That's funny...I'm also a recent Oak convert, and I took the same approach you did with the package: Open the sides like flaps and reinforce the hinge with Scotch tape. I keep a rubber band around the lid. If you search Amazon, you'll find a variety of silicone and plastic containers. I haven't found anything that's a perfect solution yet, however. Maybe recycle an old Pop's container(?) Then, there's also this: Rosin Saver

Earl, Who da Ville and salcott like this.
  4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Not a perfect solution, but I purchased a mini-muffin baking pan made of silicone - about $10 for 24; cut one out, and Viola! See below.
    (I've since learned to leave more material around the edge to facilitate "rolling" the edge down to access the top of the cake for application.)
    This material can be microwaved and is absolutely impervious to the sticky-ness of the rosin.
    I would (break up, and) throw some of the Oak Rosin into the cup and microwave it gradually, making sure to STIR the molten rosin, in order to blend-in and rejuvenate the outermost layer, which tends to dry out and become difficult to apply.
    Thanks.
    IMG_3072.JPG

Who da Ville likes this.
  5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I use Nyman, and a cake I bought 6 months ago and have stored in a Rosin Saver since is still fresh.

Who da Ville and lionstrings like this.
  6. BobbyT

BobbyT

Feb 19, 2017
    Chicago
    I open up the sides of the bottom half of the box, then store in a Ziplock. Would love to hear more feedback from people using those rosin containers with the Oak—might be worth upgrading from the old freezer bag!

Who da Ville likes this.
  7. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    I've been using the Rosin Saver for over a year now and its kept my Pops as fresh as the day I bought it. I have a plan to buy another one to keep the Oak in. Trouble is I also use Jade l'Opera and Liebenzeller, and those Rosin Saver things aren't cheap.

salcott, Earl, s van order and 2 others like this.
  8. I really like the Jade l'Opera. Hard as nails but once you get it going with a good application on the hair it seems to outlast the pops. The cheap plastic container leaves much to be desired, though.

9. Tonysuarezbass

Tonysuarezbass Supporting Member

Not really related, but I (and many) learned the hard way - rosin your bow over your gig bag. Stand over it so when you drop the rosin (it will happen eventually) it doesn't shatter to a million pieces

10. Great suggestions. Thanks guys!

11. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Don, you know that this is a bass forum. Good idea, though.

Lee Moses, s van order and Don Kasper like this.
  12. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Ooop! Sorry.
    I thought I was at TalkBake!
    Thanks!

13. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I also use the crimped paper muffin cup inserts to keep my Pop's and Hinersine from adhering to their plastic cups (tubs). The paper sticking out of the top makes it easy to pull the rosin out of its tub, even during the warmest weather. I also put both tubs on top of each other in a small sized Ball 6 oz. canning jar with a damp piece of clean (sterile ) sponge on the bottom.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Don Kasper likes this.
  14. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    "I miss the semi-air-tight seal provided by the Kolstein tub. Why can't everyone pour their rosin into a rubber tub; especially at thirty-something dollars a tub?

Have any of you come up with a better way to store your Oak rosin?"

Hi,

I'm loving the Oak too. Hating the packaging and wishing everyone used silicone tubs like Kolstein.

My solution is similar to Don.

Question though: are we allowed to give links to product web sites to illustrate what we use? I'll just name stuff for now and you can search it.

1. Got rid of the paper box. It's of no use for either preserving or dispensing the rosin.

2. Found a small 4 cube silicone ice cube tray at Tuesday Morning. Cut away 3 of the compartments and the one left fits the rosin with a few mm left over.

3. Ordered a 10 pack of the 8 gram 72% humidifier packets from Boveda for $13. This is the same stuff used in the Rosin Saver.

4. Placed rosin in its square silicone cup and humidifier packet into the smallest rubber maid food storage tub I could find (available at any supermarket). Use the smallest one that actually fits the rosin (even if you have to lay it on its side like mine) because you don't want to have to humidify a lot of excess empty space in there.

It's worked very well. At 6 months the rosin is like new. In fact even more moist than new. These humidifiers can rejuvenate as well as preserve. I just replaced the humidifier packet a few weeks ago. You know it's time when the packet is no longer squishy (the stuff inside crystallizes when it's spent). It does look a little kludged because of the improvised materials but I don't care. It works and fits in my fanny pack gig bag.

I'm not in the shop right now. Let me know if any pics or links are wanted.

Don Kasper and Who da Ville like this.
  15. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
  16. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
  17. Nobody suggested Saran Wrap, so of course, that's what I did. (I know…"why did you ask if you weren't going to follow our advice"…)

After about a month, I'm really happy with the result…so far. The rosin is much stickier that it was new out of the box, but as far as I can tell, that's a good thing. Only one swipe, & I'm good to go.

DSC_0081.JPG DSC_0082.JPG

18. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I recently bought myself a cake of Oak Soft +, and am rather digging it. I did at Michael stated above. Melted it double-boiler style and poured it into the silicone cup that came with my Rosin Saver. Good to go!

19. Can I keep it in my cigar humidor? I don't smoke them much anymore (there are still a few in there!), might as well recycle it!

20. I'm bumping this, because I am seriously considering storing my rosin in a cigar humidor...minus the cigars of course...

Any reason not to?