1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Storing Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by impactwrench, Nov 21, 2010.

1. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    Will storing pickups together in a box mess up the magnetic fields at all? I have like 2 sets of Model J's, a PJ SX set, and another SX jazz set all in a small box. Should I separate them a bit while they are waiting on basses?

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    It depends if they have Alnico or Ceramic magnets. Ceramic bar magnets are permanent, meaning that they won't lose their magnetism. Alnico pole pieces are magnetized just before they are wound. If they come in contact with pieces of steel or other magnets, there is a chance they'll lose their magnetism. I say wrap them individually in bubble wrap or something while in storage. I do the same with Ceramic magnets, too...just to be safe.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I figure if they're spaced "Strat distance" apart they'll be fine.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    That's smart... I have always just tossed pickups into the parts bin... then I have to peel off all the screws and e-clips and stuff off the magnets later.