1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

storing unused basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raziel4635, Feb 28, 2019.

1. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    Ever since I got my current bass last year,I stopped playing with my old yamaha 4 stringer and just had it on its stand next to my currently played bass.

I just have it there on the stand for about 12 months now,in tune with no special protection whatsoever,I just pick it up every 2-3 months or so and wipe it clean with Dunlop 65 I use on all my guitars and basses and then setting it on its stand,promising I'd put something like a bag over it to at least protect it from dust.

never did though.

I just picked it up to clean it today and I noticed some rust (?) marks on the pickups and on the last 3-4 frets that I couldnt seem to be able to scratch away.
    It's just a few tiny marks here and there but they got me worried.

what's the best way to take care of the bass you're not playing at the moment?
    lay it strings down on a bed?
    hard case?
    detune? no strings at all?
    even selling it?
    I don't see myself playing with it anytime soon to be honest.

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Keep it in the case under the bed or in a closet. Do not put it in a musty damp basement and do not put it in an uninsulated attic where temperatures in summer can reach well over 100 degrees in the summer.

[edit] didn’t read original post thoroughly. Just leave it out and play it more often than once every 2 or 3 months.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    MynameisMe likes this.
  3. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I hang all of my basses on the wall in a small bedroom (Man Cave) and have never had any problems, I have had a P Bass which I regularly play that has been hanging for 10 years with no physical signs of rust etc. I wipe all my basses down once a week and always wash my hands before playing them.Obviously temp/humidity is a factor and mine hang in a room at around 25C and around 40% humidity which is perfect.

funkinbottom and B-Mac like this.
  4. Keep it in the case. There are also little humidifier thingies you can get to put in there, but I've never used one.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I find if I can’t see it, I won’t play it.
    But we’re all different. I’ve seen pics of guys rooms with over 25 basses hanging up or on stands, and others who store each bass in a hard case. No real rule here.

If you decide to store them in a case or gig bag, leave them tuned to pitch.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  6. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I keep all of my cases (7 of them) in the loft as they take up too much room if they are stored anywhere else. For me it would take too much effort going into the loft to try a Bass that has been stored in its case.It's no problem when they are on the wall behind me even if some get more play time than others.

B-Mac likes this.
  7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    That's what I do!

Goatrope and gebass6 like this.
  8. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    I don’t have that many(3) but I have them on a 5 guitar Hercules stand.

9. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    would a regular soft gigbag be ok for storing?

I'm asking because I just checked and I can get a regular warwick rockbag for 8 euro but a hard case costs around 80-90 euro :p

10. No reason why not. It keeps the dust off and adds another layer of protection should the bass get knocked over.

11. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Personally, I keep all where I can see them, so they get played, or rotated into gigs at random.

This works for me, but for you, it sounds like you may just want to sell it.

funkinbottom likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i hate to hear about instruments not being played but i have one, too. it's hanging on a wall and i pretend not to see it when i turn in that direction. :laugh:

maybe it's time for a sale. good luck with your guilt, OP ( :thumbsup: ), and wish me good luck with mine! :D

Goatrope likes this.
  13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I keep all my basses in their hard cases when not being used. No dust on them that way so there is no need for weekly or monthly wipe downs.

JMarkD and nixdad like this.
  14. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    I'm in California so no wall hanging, stored in their cases, you never know when the next big earthquake could hit.

JMarkD, mikeswals and gebass6 like this.
  15. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    All mine are hanging. Although some don't get as much play time as others, I like having all of them handy for when the urge hits.

16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I have two basses.
    That constantly get used.

For me,any "unused" basses get "stored" at the local Music Go Round.
    So that they can be "used" by someone else.
    I make it a point to not own more basses that I can use.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  17. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Unused basses?

Wisebass and gebass6 like this.
  18. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    Can I resurrect this thread?
    I just bought a house and will now have a room for my musical equipment.
    If I store my instruments in their respective cases, would it be better for the guitar to be horizontal (flat), vertical on the long edge of the case or vertical standing up (blocked in so they cant fall).
    I keep Boveda packs in all the cases to combat the wild humidity swings here on the Great Plains.
    To be clear, they all get rotated in and out of play on a monthly basis or so ...
    Thanks in advance.

19. FDR Jones

FDR Jones

Apr 7, 2018
    I believe standing them up is best.

zontar and Guzzi Toad like this.
  20. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Case-strings on and tuned!

gsgbass likes this.