1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storing your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumpy McGroove, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Thumpy McGroove

Thumpy McGroove

Jul 11, 2012
    Maine
    If this is the wrong forum feel free to move it. Just curious where in your home do you keep your bass when you aren't playing it?

The reason I ask is because my house has a finished bass-ment;) , and thats where I practice. The problem is the humidity. I have made sure to bring my bass back upstairs when I'm done because, while the moisture might be good for the fret-board, it is enough to make the screws of the pick-gaurd rust and the exposed poll on the pick-ups. I'm sure it isn't good for electronics either.
    (Amp came back upstairs too)

2. I do the same, but not with my amp.

I also have a finished basement. My MIA Fender comes back upstairs to its stand in the living room, so I can pick it up and play when the mood strikes.

The cheapies stay downstairs.

3. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    When I had a bass-ment I used a good sized dehumidifier with excellent results.

4. Keldog

Keldog

Jan 23, 2008
    Back in its case.
    :)

5. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    All my instruments hang on the wall in my bedroom. No issues yet...

We don't have bass-ments here... I'm jealous...

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    no dehumidifier? Might be a good investment.

7. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    We prcatice in a finnished basement...all band gear stays there, set up ready to go. All instruments, except drums, go upstairs, in cases after practice. Humidifier in basement does it's job, so gear stays in good shape.

8. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I also have a finished basement, but since the house is a "ranch" style part of it is below ground level. It's always cooler than the rest of the house, winter and summer. I keep my amp downstairs in the family room, but my basses are in the guest BR, under the bed, on a plush carpet. Actually if we have guests, I try to put them in the basement. My wife doesn't see the logic or humor in this train of thought. "But honey, I can't have anyone screwing around over my basses......" I've never been fond of hard cases, prefer gig bags. My current choice is Reunion Blues.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Mine now stay out hanging on Hercules racks. When they were put away in cases, I didn't see 'em and was less apt to play all of them.

10. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I have three basses out currently.. My Peavey Sarzo and TL-5 along with my Ibby GWB35. Been playing these as of late.. The rest are in their respective cases / gig bags in a spare bedroom.

11. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    You know those "do not eat" pouches of silica gel that come in shoeboxes?
    handy for fighting moisture.

When I long term store my bass:
    In hard case
    Slack the strings a bit
    Toss in 3-4 silica gel packets for dryness.
    Store indoors in an insulated area
    Huge swings in temperature over the seasons (like in high desert) will destroy an instrument, so climate control is key.

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Those things wear out pretty quick. When I used to have a substantial investment in Zeiss and Leica camera lenses, I kept them in cases with more robust silica packs that could be dried out in the oven and re-used indefinitely.

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Silica-Indicator-Reuseable-Canister/dp/B0002GRLO0

13. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Keep basses out on a Hercules stand in a bedroom converted to a music room. AC stays on so humidity is controlled, though dry in winter. No problems.

14. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    I'm fortunate to have a spare "music room", A/C on all the time, the more common players are on stands, all others in their gig bags or cases in a closet. Works for me.

15. De-humidifier in basement.

Problem solved.

16. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Jaco said: "Dont keep your Bass anywhere you would not sleep"

17. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Hmmm..

18. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Mine sit in stands and hang on the walls in the mancave.

19. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I have a home project studio and keep all my instruments, gig bags with cables, etc and studio gear in there. The gigging amp rigs stay in a storage closet in the garage.
    The instruments I keep on stands in the studio are usually the ones that get used the most. Others stay in cases and come out every now and then for some fresh air and TLC.

20. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. ALWAYS. Same goes for my guitars. I've never had any problems with any of my istruments as a result, even in this varied Oklahoma climate (fairly humid as well).