Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

storing your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andysvec, Sep 26, 2004.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I recently pulled some of my old basses/guitars out of their case for the first time in many months (some even years) and noticed rust/oxidation on a lot of the metal (even had the binding on a banjo resonator crack everywhere, and rust so bad on a guitar's strings that looked like I left it outside in the rain). What is the best way to store a bass/guitar, in the case or leave it out on a stand? Granted, I live on an island so I'm sure the humid weather and salt air comes into play. But my house is fully airconditioned and fairly cool most of the time. I keep bags of dessicant in my gig bags of basses I use to keep the strings fresh, which works great, but I'm not sure if I should put it in the cases of my vintage basses due to it drying it out too much? Any advice?

2. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    For anyone else this suggestion would seem counterintuitive, but have you considered storing them in a separate room that has a dehumidifier running 24/7? That would be more effective than dessicant.

3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Do you think that if I did have a dehumidifier running, would it matter if I left them in the case or out in this room?