1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stormy Monday and Red House giving me trouble!

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by ccrnnr9, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    I go to a local blues jam every thursday night and while I have only been playing for 3 months I find I can hang in there for most stuff that is basic I, IV, V blues but once we get into more complicated chord changes I get lost. I have searched around here and have found some helpful stuff but am still having a lot of trouble:

First for Stormy Monday, they always play it in G but I cannot figure out the changes other than G to C and back. I have listened to the ABB Live at Filmore East countless times and Berry just keeps leaving me hanging :p. Can anyone help? To my ears it sounds like it starts out like this:
    G, C, G, G
    C, C, G/A, G/A

I know this is wrong because it just doesn't sound right. Anyone have any pointers for me? I really would like to be able to at least hang with the chord changes tomorrow night on this song. I can figure out the filler or just make up something that works if I can just get the darned changes right.

As far as red house goes, it is pretty simple but one thing always throws me off. I listen to Hendrix's version a lot and although everyone says its A maj when we play it, the notes sound minor at times. Is there something Noel is doing that is a little tricky?
    ~Nick

2. jrklmx(Andrew)

jrklmx(Andrew)

Mar 31, 2009
    Stormy Monday
    I think it's something like this

First 4 bars G7 C7 G7-Ab7 G7

Then G7 C7 C7 G7Am7
    Bm7 Bbm7
    Then a crazy turnaround?

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The Hendrix studio recorded version of Red House is in Bb. Probably B tuned down a half step.

It is mostly major except the riff in the IV chord. If playing in A try this on the IV:

D DF F#D DCAC

And rember it's a quick 4 progression so it goes:

I IV I I
    IV IV I I
    V IV I V