Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stormy monday...why?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Feb 10, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    one of the most copied blues tunes there is and there is only one tabbed out version of it on the net...and it's in the wrong key and not quite right.anyone have the real tab of it as played on live at the filmore?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's not necessarily the "wrong key" because it gets played in many keys. I don't even know what key the Allmans did it in.

There are also many versions with different changes, the Allmans used the Bobby Bland version as a starting point.

Besides, it's BLUES you don't need tab you just need to know the chord progression used.

3. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    exactly..learn the progressions in any key...If you play blues with horns players or piano you will end up playing in lots of different keys to make it easier for them usually.

In jamsessions I always ask just to make sure before the tune starts.

4. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    yeah it is just blues but i like to study different approaches and styles.the allmans version gets pretty jazzy,i was just wondering if there were acurate tabs to that recording in the key it was done in...G.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You may not like this answer, but the Allman Brothers have a three volume book set of transcriptions of their most popular songs including "Stormy Monday" which appears in Volume One.

You may also not like the fact that this accurate transcription is for the guitar part, not the bass, but it does have the chords written, the lyrics and has tab as well as standard notation. The transcription is for the version of the song as it is played on "At Fillmore East."

Still, by knowing the correct chords, you should be able to figure out the bassline. The book is a Hal Leonard publication and sells for $24.95.

6. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    this is one of those tunes that you probably won't find an accurate tab to, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just listen to the chord progression, realize that it's a minor (sad song) then work within the jazz vein to find the appropriate notation. Look at it as an opportunity, not as a stumbling block.

7. I found the chords online - the bass line is most likely a standard blues "1 1-3 3-5 5-6-5-3", throwing in the 1/2 step movement implied by the chord changes, where appropriate. Here they are.
    --joe

From uunet!cbmvax!macon Wed Jul 1 15:39:35 PDT 1992
    Article: 446 of alt.guitar.tab
    Path: nevada.edu!uunet!cbmvax!macon
    Newsgroups: alt.guitar.tab
    Subject: Music: stormy monday
    Message-ID: <32662@cbmvax.commodore.com>
    Date: 1 Jul 92 13:35:42 GMT
    Sender: news@cbmvax.commodore.com
    Reply-To: macon@cbmvax.commodore.com (Glen Macon)
    Distribution: world
    Organization: COMMODORE West Cester PA
    Lines: 46

i've seen many ways to play this one.... here's ours...

Title: STORMY MONDAY (Allman Bros)

G7 C9 G7 Ab7 G7
    They call it stormy Monday, ...
    C9 G7 Am7 Bm7 Bb7
    They call it stormy Monday, ...
    Am7 Abm7 Am7 Cm7 G7 C9 G7 Gdim
    Lord and Wednesday's worse...

G7 C9 G7 Ab7 G7
    The eagle flies on Friday, ...
    C9 G7 Am7 Bm7 Bb7
    The eagle flies on Friday, ...
    Am7 Abm7 Am7 Cm7 G7 C9 G7 Gdim
    Sunday I go to church, ...

G7 C9 G7 Ab7 G7
    Lord have mercy, lord ...
    C9 G7 Am7 Bm7 Bb7
    Lord have mercy, lord ...
    Am Abm7 Am7
    You know I tryin', ...
    Cm7 G7 C9 G7 Gdim
    Please send her on ...

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_

\_\_\_ \_ \_ Glen Macon
    \_ \_\_ \_\_ any-net: macon@cbmvax.commodore.com
    \_ \_ \_\_ \_ Standard disclaimer...
    \_ \_\_\_ \_ \_ \_ Commodore doesn't endorce what I say, I do
    \_ \_ \_ \_ Who wants to know...
    \_ \_ \_ \_
    \_\_\_ \_ \_

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    PM sent

9. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Well, I had a quick look at a couple of dozen bars of the live version.
    There seems to be a low D in the 14 th bar. That's why I wrote the tab for fivestring bass. You could also use dropped D tuning or just skip/play a muted note instead of the D note.
    It's indeed played very "jazzy". I could tab more if needed.

Stormy Monday.btab
    Allman Brothers
    TablEdited by Poppamies
    Tuning : B E A D G Time Signature: 6/8

|0-------0---------------|------------------------|------------------------|
    |------------3---2---0---|--------------------0---|------------------------|
    |------------------------|------------2---3-------|3-----------1---0-------|
    |------------------------|3-------3---------------|--------------------3---|
    |------------------------|------------------------|------------------------|

|------------------------|0-------0---------------|------------------------|
    |------------------------|------------3---2---0---|--------------------1---|
    |3-----------------------|------------------------|------------3---4-------|
    |------------0---1---3---|------------------------|4-----------------------|

|------------0-----------|------------------------|------------------------|
    |----------0-----3-------|5-------5/4---------0---|------------------------|
    |--------------------5---|------------1---3-------|3-----------1---0-------|
    |3-------3---------------|------------------------|--------------------3---|

|3-----------------------|3-----------1---0-------|3-----------------------|
    |------------0---1---3---|--------------------3---|------------0---1---2---|

|------------------------|0-------0-------0-------|2-------------------2---|
    |3-------3-------3---4---|------------------------|------------------------|
    |------------------------|--------------------3---|------------------------|

|------------------------|0-----------------------|------------------------|
    |1-----------------------|------------------------|0-----------------------|

|------------------------|3-----------------------|------------------------|
    |1-------------------1---|----------------1-------|--------------------0---|
    |----------------1-------|--------------------1---|------------2---3-------|
    |------------------------|------------------------|3-----------------------|

|------------------------|------------------------|0-----------------------|
    |3-------3---------------|------------2---3---4---|------------------------|
    |------------0---1---2---|3-----------------------|------and so on...------|

Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I offered the full and complete sheet,
    but 'ten beers' doesn't seem to want it.

So why bother us?

11. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Right you are!
    By the way "Finger Blister", is my transcription of the live preformance anywhere in the ballpark compared to the one you have?
    It's a very nice and musical bassline so I don't feel I've done anything in vain since it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the net. I think I'll finnish the tab and put it on the sites.

12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Close enough!

Remember it's 12/8 time...