Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[story] First studio experience with my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Hey people,

I want to tell you my experiences about my first 'real' studio experience. Me and the band I play in are in the middle of recording our second demo. We play this special blend of stonerrock and metal, something we call 'stoner core'...

I play a Warwick Corvette Standard through an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and a Peavey 410TVX, 8 ohm cabinet. No effects.

My live sound is very mid-heavy. Bass and low-mids are boosted quite a lot on the amp. The gain is set up fairly high (2 o'clock), so that I get this fat overdriven tone. The tone I really really love. Most of the time I play on the bridge pickup only. The bright switch on the amp is engaged. Short: my sound is heavy and overdriven and quite aggressive. Just perfect for the stoner thingie we play.

So last sunday, july 11th, we went into the studio to start recording the six new songs for our new demo. The sound room is very very good. Good isolation. Everything sounds like heaven in there. The drums have already been recorded.

I set up my rig, with the same settings I use when we're gigging. The cabinet is miced and we also tried to use the DI signal from the back of the amp (the SVT-3 has a DI-out).
    Apparantly the DI of the amp isn't that good. It had loads of noise and crackles. We were using good cables and good recording gear, and the guy who's recording our stuff knows what he's doing.
    So we tried to do it differently... I hooked my bass up into to this valve compressor for a DI-signal (sounded very good btw) and the output of the DI into the Ampeg that got miced.
    So now I got a blend of a deep DI-signal and my overdriven amp signal.

Next thing that striked me and the band was that my amp sounds different in the studio. Of course it's sounding more articulate (due to the good sound room of course) but the big suprise was that with the same gain settings I use for gigs, the amp now sounds fuzzy, almost like with a muff or something. Strange huh? Perhaps it's always there on gigs, but can't be heard due to the amount of noise made by the guitarist and drums??
    The sound, with my live-settings, was too fuzzed to record; it was not the sound I'd like to use on our recordings. So I dimed the gain for 25% percent to get the sound I really HEAR on stage. Phat and overdriven, not fuzzy.

Next difference was that with only the sound of my bridge pickup coming out of the bass, the recorded sound sounded a little too thin compared too my live sound. So I now used both pickups (pan knob centered on the Corvette) instead of only the bridge pickup. Result: deeper bass sounds and better support for the guitars.

So I started recording then... and hard it was. Man. Clicktracks. Gottah love it :) It took some time and a serious amount of retrying but I made it.

Anyways, here's my little story about my first real studio experience with real amps (the previous demo was recorded straight into the pc with amp-software (amplitube)).

Did anyone experience similar things? Like the amp sounding too hi-gain compared too live and the bridge pickup setting sounding too bass-little for recording...?

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You almost always have to drop the gain in a recording situation. The same goes for guitars too. I'd imagine the drop in bass had something to do with the microphone not 100% accurately reproducing your tone?

Where's the soundclips ole boy?

3. Well, I'll try to get some clips from our recordings soon. I'd like to get an isolated mix of drum and bass... I'll try to manage.

4. i have covered the problem of loosing bass when playing also mostly with the bridgepickup by having a 2nd amp with a clean and lined signal to the bord. that way i can have the 1st amp as dirty and edgy as i want(miked).
    i tend too feel that i am loosing treble when i record in studios but i´m getting closer...

5. I always record a straight flat D.I. out of the SWR and then whatever other sound that I'm looking for, usually a distortion box or effect (envelope filter, t-wah, synth)

I'm in an apartment so I usually don't mic anything but having the two seperate signals while tracking is always a life saver while mixing.

Also a thought, did the compressor that you sent your bass through before going into your Ampeg raise the gain?

6. Alright,
    the photoset's below contain the pictures of our recording sessions. The set of day 2 contains the pics of the bass recordings.

I redid all tracks on day 2 since recordings weren't tight enough on day 1. I used both pickups full on. Double signal: 1. Straight into a valve compressor. That output to the input of my Ampeg for the dirty signal. Those two combined delivered a heavenly tone. Believe me. My ultimate rock sound.

Last weekend we gigged again and I used the DI out of the Ampeg once more. Apparently this DI delivers a very good signal to the PA because the sound in the room was way more distorted then the sound on stage coming out of my amp. Like I said a lot of the overdriven sound is lost in the wall of guitars; that's why I heard my bass sound so fuzzy in the studio.

I'll have recordings up here very soon.

day 2: http://www.ashville.be/images/fotos/studio_2004_07_21/FrameSet.htm

day 1: http://www.ashville.be/images/fotos/studio_2004_07_11/FrameSet.htm