1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Story of a Smart Drummer...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Not sure of source. Drummer in our band sent it to me.

It's a story from session drummer Kenneth Buttrey and the making of Dylan's 'Lay Lady Lay', which I always thought was an interesting song but did not know why, until now.

"Sometimes... I go to the artist and say, 'What do you hear on the drums?' Because sometimes when people write songs they can hear it completed, they hear everything they think's gonna be on it", says drummer Ken Buttrey. "I went over to Dylan and said, 'I'm having a little trouble thinking of something to play. Do you have any ideas on ['Lay Lady Lay']?'... He said, 'Bongos'... I immediately disregarded that, I couldn't hear bongos in this thing at all... So I walked into the control room and said, 'Bob [Johnston], what do you hear as regards [to] drums on this thing?'... [He] said, 'Cowbells.'... Kris Kristofferson was working at Columbia Studios at the time as a janitor and he had just emptied my ashtray at the drums and I said, 'Kris, do me a favor, here, hold these two things... hold these bongos in one hand and the cowbells in the other,' and I swung this mike over to the cowbells and the bongos... I had no pattern or anything worked out. I just told Kris, 'This is one of those spite deals. I'm gonna show 'em how bad their ideas're gonna sound.'... We started playing the tune and I was just doodling around on these bongos and the cowbells and it was kinda working out pretty cool... Come chorus time I'd go to the set of drums. Next time you hear that [cut], listen how far off-mike the drums sound. There were no mikes on the drums, it was just leakage... But it worked out pretty good... To this day it's one of the best drum patterns I ever came up with."

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Smart Drummer; Oxymoron.

3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Great story. Thanks for sharing. I downloaded the song just so I can hear it.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That's awesome!

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA