1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Story of my 67 Ampeg SVT 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sgfender85, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Yesterday like any other day Im checking craigslist for bass gear because my band will be soon be getting gigs and I am in need of a rig. I was shocked to see an Ampeg 810 for $200! So i call the guy up right away and I said Id be there after work. So I get there and the guy (drummer by the way) said he gotten about 20 calls on it an hour after posting. The first thing he said is someone already offered $400 for it. I made a counter offer to throw in my Fender Rumble 60 combo with the $200 he asked for, he sat on that idea for a while and still wanted to give the other guy a chance so I hung out there for a couple hours waiting. While waiting we pulled out the cab that hasnt moved from his shed in 8 years and pulled off the front cover. After researching the serial number we discovered it was a 67 cab. It had all the original drivers in it as well. I could be wrong but I think the drivers were CTS (does that sound right?). One driver was reconed and that back of it had a sticker on it saying it was serviced in 88'. The only thing he had to test out the cab was an old peavey 200 watt PA mixer. On 200 watts it was thumping loud! All the driver were working well. The sound out of this PA mixer was crap so I cant wait to hook up a nice preamp and power amp to it. I want to rack a sans amp with a peavey power amp. Id much rather find a vintage ampeg head but I dont think that would be able to fit into my budget. The cab was recarpeted but underneath on the front grille was the original green tweed. I pulled that off last night as soon as I got home. The tweed was kind of nasty looking but hey its 40 years old. Im so happy to have this peice of music history!

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I didn't even know that Ampeg made SVT cabs/heads that early.

3. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Me neither. I thought '69 was the first year. Oh well.

4. SVTs were only introduced in 1969, i'd always assumed thats when the 810s came along too.

Also, green tweed?

5. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    If it is one of the earliest from 69 then perhaps the driver dates are from 67? Green tweed is probably just the original silver/blue grill cloth discolored. The cloth on the front of my 70s SVT has turned greenish. Good score! I hear those old 810s are the ones to have.

6. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Im not 100% sure of the date it was made. The guy I got it from called a friend that check the serial number in a book to verify. So I didnt even speak directly to him or see the book with my own eyes, so I cant say for sure. We also tried to identify the drivers and the guy said that they could be from 67-72. I email Ampeg today so Im gonna try to get all the info I can from them. I did a google search on vintage svt and didnt really find anything at all. If anyone has any resourses and would like to help me out, the serial number is 67008 and model number 1010.

7. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    I just got off the phone with ampeg. They dont even have much information on anything older than 85. But they also said that the second wave of svt cabs were the first with 1/4" input jacks. Mine does have the 1/4" jack so I am thinking that its probably 72' since thats the date I came up with for the drivers. Either way, I cant wait till I build my rack for this bad boy!

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Early SVT's can't be dated by serial number alone. I would go by the date code on the speaker, and what the serial label says on it. I think you are right that it's probably a 72 or 73. Even so, a great score at the price you got.

9. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    man am I jealous, ouch!!!!

200 dollars man, thats just a god send:D

10. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

67008 and 1010? Well, 67 is a manufacturer code for Eminence. I think the first numbers '67' is for Eminence, '0' for 1970 and '08' for 8th week of 1970. 1010 might be some Eminence markings. 10 fo 10 inches? Another 10 for Eminence product number 10?
    Here is some material for your detective work. Hope this helps.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html#irc

11. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    How about some pics? Whatever model it is and whenever it was made, it sounds interesting.

12. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Details schmeitails!! It's an Ampeg? 8x10? for $200? Brudder? YOU WON BIG!!!

13. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    two or three years ago i scored my 69 ampeg 810 . me and a buddy went to atlanta to pick up the cab and a 76 svt head . he didnt want the cab so i took it . paid him 200 buckss for it but the tolex was demolished . since i have done a rhino liner treatment to it and new grill cloth . added some rubber feet on the side and bottom . some of the speakers had been replaced or reconed and i replaced 4 more of them (yes i kept the originals) . it didnt come with a dolly , so i move it with hand trucks . i power it with a mid 80s gk 800rb and have used it flawlessly forseveral years now ... oh yea btw the head/cab combo cost my buddy 900.00 and then i took the cab , so he had 700 in the head . he did great on ebay with that piece .....

14. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah I really stole this from the guy. He posted it first so cheap then he realized how sought after they are and valuable that he reposted it at a higher price. I called before then so he was kind of obligated to the $200 price he originaly posted. I offered to through in my amp to have him finally agree to sell it to me. I want to recarpet the cab and find some new tweed to do the front cover. It looks pretty rough but it is vintage so I cant complain. Ill try to get some pics sometime, I have no camera of my own.

15. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    come on man , dont put carpet on an ampeg 810 ...... go back with rhinoliner or another type of tolex ... carpet stays nasty , absorbs smoke , and piles up .....

16. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Yeah, for as little as you paid, do it right if you're going to restore it. Don't just slap any old covering on it. I would restore it just as it looked at the time it came out. fliptops.net is a great source for Ampeg parts and stuff. You will greatly increase its resale value if you restore it right.

Throw up a pic of it as it looks now when you get a chance.