Story of stupid people in charge

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Corbis, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I really didn't know what topic to put this in.

Recently my school passed a bond for a multi-million dollar renovation of the existing buildings (one part is from the 1920s the other part is from the 1970s) The bond would include a new gym, new commons area (lobby), and a renovation of all existing classrooms. Phase I was the new gym, commons, and music room. Constrution began last year and we were told Phase One would be completed we we arrive next year. My choir and band teachers were all really exicited since they got to tell the planners what they wanted, they would get a new studio with new equipment, new soundproof pratice rooms the works.

When we get back to school this year of course they aren't quite finished, the sprinkers and the acoustic pannels had to still be installed. So at the begining of the year we were basically in the same environment were were last year, big square rooms, now they were just 2x as big, in a different part of the building, and smelled like new car.

Well about 2 weeks ago they installed the acoustic panels in the ceiling. They're the huge square slabs of some material that are hung from the ceiling, I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about, well after they were install our superindendant and architect came along and said they didn't like how the panels looked, put them all flat so you can't see their backs. To make matters worse since they didn't install the sprinklers yet since the panels couldn't get wet the drilled holes IN the panels for the sprinklers so now they can't correct the acoustics.

I'm sure glad THAT bond passed.
  2. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    That sucks dude. At least you get to experience a partially remodeled school. Every school I went to remodeled right after I graduated. the acoustics MIGHT be better than they were originally?
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    So, what your saying is, your school district has a fully operational school full of students....

someone needs to go to jail over that one.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    This is a huge problem with renovation measures. The intent is right. The intent is a better learning environment. The reality is low-bidder hell. I teach at a community college that is going through a renovation period brought about by a bond measure. The first building completed is the ugliest thing you could imagine. It also had a faulty alarm system that allowed for a major theft of electronic equipment during the first few weeks of operation. It's the reliance upon low-bidder contractors that is a major part of the problem.
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Is that something? :p

The things some do here are pretty atrocious...
    The schools are just the lighter, but this government, now there are the very severly idiots and even worse, lots of post-communist liars and decievers... :spit: